PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
So, this particular Medico came covered in grim, chips, burn out spots, spider webbing, chewed up stem, and in general a huge mess. SO I decided to work with it a little. Played and played. Getting it in better shape. Then, after removing the wax and a lot of stain...I found myself with a grey, not so pretty pipe. Waiting around until I get more supplies...especially Paragon/Halcyon wax just stunting my learning process. Then...mania set in...2 AM...noticed chapstick. I remembered people using it on stems; proceeded to think it has wax in it. Lets see how it goes; first coat darkened with a foggy look, second much better and shiny. I DO NOT recommend this...no idea of the effects...or the problems. It still smells like cherries :crazy: I did however, remove a lot of problems around the rim by slightly sanding it off by hand, slight bevel, cleaned out the terrible bow, polished the gold band, and the stem. Though, I didn't get all of the marks and dings from the stem so starting on that again later.
Just thought I would share this weird bored stupid idea...while I am learning with it; impulse decided Chapstick would be fun...so here's what happened. I'll get more/better pictures as I play with it. At least I was good to one of the Bulldogs I got. The Dr. Grabow Regal Has turned out nice, just letting it rest before I can smoke it after the deep cleaning. I repeat...this is NOT the way to go about this...just me experimenting with common household items.

Only pic of before...it was black with grime everywhere that wouldn't rub off.

1122151511-00_zpsnnt7jchc.jpg

After initial clean up

IMG_0107_zpsxgtemesv.jpg

IMG_0105_zpsq2dekdej.jpg

IMG_0111_zps1poteeu1.jpg

After I found the burned areas and mania took over

IMG_0120_zps6sm0zxw7.jpg

IMG_0119_zpshzxmffua.jpg

IMG_0124_zpslf2grml7.jpg

IMG_0118_zpsipwlasaw.jpg

After 2 coats of Cherry Chapstick rubbed in with fingers, blue paper towel, then shirt after it dried a bit.

IMG_0155_zpstqfdqza4.jpg

IMG_0156_zpsjs08mrpu.jpg

IMG_0158_zpsrjo9cxuy.jpg

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Well on its way Tyler! I was making a bowl for a homemade calabash and ran into a burn spot. It turned to black powder as I dug at it. The only way I could fix that one to a smokable state was to fill it.
Tip: When topping estate pipes, over a clean surface use a screen sandpaper like used for sheetrock and the sawdust falls thru the holes. It give you real briar sawdust to use for fills. I'm still looking for a better glue. Superglue will darken the fill.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Tyler:
When you get the resto bug this is how we all should begin: a relatively inexpensive OTC burner to learn on.
Start the process with eyes wide open. You will make mistakes. You will top or sand more than you should. You will screw the pooch.
But you're doing it on a three dollar pipe and that's you're training ground, hoss. Get a couple of those under your belt and you'll be ready to tackle that beat to hell and gone Comoy's or Savinelli you'll eventually find. (No disrespect meant to you candy assed, litigious and overly easy to offend Medico smokers. You purchased drug store pipes and automatically forfeited your rights to whine - or "whinge" for our intellectually slower North American cousins in Canada.)
You've done well, man. Good on you.
Fnord

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
Appreciated. Though I do like old Dr. Grabow pipes...so...call me candy assed if you want but some smoke really well. Don't know about Medico...never liked their style.

Status
Not open for further replies.