PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
One of the joys of being a pipesmoker for me, is the unexpected discovery of a tobbacco that surprises & pleases the tastebuds.

When you think you've covered most genres/blends & then 'BANG' you try a blend you know you'll want in your rotation forever.

Thanks to this forum, I was just enquiring about an old Irish blend on some thread, when an absolute gentleman from across the water offered to send me a few bowls worth to try.

Maltan, lve heard said is very similar to St. Bruno. To me though, it's very similar in style & substance to condor RR, although with a totally different & superior taste. Marvellous stuff!

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Cheers Simon - I'm going to track some down. BTW I'm not a Chelsea fan - wrong shaped ball for me - but my family are and my grandson is on their books. My wife is from Bermondsey so she's a Millwall fan, with all of the lunacy that entails! Hope to see you at PCOL again soon, mate.
Andy

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hawky, take my word for it, Maltan neither tastes nor even looks like Condor...methinks Simon had too many Tim Taylor's when he made that statement :wink:
Condor RR, Flake or plug are entirely different beasts. Don't get me wrong, Maltan is a worthwhile smoke but Condor it ain't.
Regards,
Jay.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Hawky, take my word for it, Maltan neither tastes nor even looks like Condor...methinks Simon had too many Tim Taylor's when he made that statement :wink:

Haha! You're right, I'm sure I'd rather have Condor (in any form) and luckily I have plenty. Still, I would like to try it someday but I'm not gonna go out of my way and spend my hard earned cash to obtain some.
Thanks Mawnansmiff.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
@andystewart, you married a millwall supporter? I'm sure they gave out V.C.s for that level of bravery, or at the very least a 'mention in dispatches'. I'll get to the swan in December & I'll bring some maltan along with me.

@yawn& sniff, your quite right of course, in your observation that maltan & condorRR look nothing alike. I should of pointed out that maltan comes in a cream pouch & condor in a green one!

But if you notice upon opening the pouch, their both ribbon cut, medium to full strength & have both have a strong topping that will ghost your pipe. The main difference for me was that I very much liked the topping on maltan, whereas I dislike somewhat the topping on condor. I shall also add, that yes, I was drinking with the landlord at the time I posted, but I stand by what I said.

BTW, what were you drinking when you were telling everyone on this forum, who would listen (apart from me) that that pipe you were restoring, you remember the one? The plain as day meershaum that you was adamant was a briar. Eh lad? (Winking yellow face/emoji)

Best regards, Simon.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Oh SimpleSimon (who writes "Maltan 'a grand tobbacco"), that issue was well and truly dealt with on the very thread of which you speak.
Regards the Maltan and Condor differences then sure, if you think they are similar then fine though I doubt you would find many who would agree with you but from here I will throw in the towel.
Methinks you're spoiling your tastebuds with too much Timmy Taylor's Landlord (which by the way tastes nothing like Fuller's London Pride :wink: )
Regards,
Jay.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
What is the topping on the Maltan like? Pipestud's comments:
The immediate smell that hit my nostrils was a combination of licorice and spice. That let me know the leaf was topped with something, and frankly, the smell was not really pleasant. I loaded up anyway because the tobacco itself did look inviting (Deeply dark and rich). The spicy taste overwhelmed my palate the first few puffs but then settled down into what was a delightful and heady smoke.
Maltan Ready Rubbed is strong, but not overwhelming. It does not bite and burned evenly down to the bottom of the bowl. Yes, it fanned its gil plates from time to time, but then, I enjoy strong tobacco. Yes, similar in taste presentation to St. Bruno Flake, but less "perfumed," and every bit as strong in the nicotine department.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Simon good to know you share a favourite tipple with mad donna.I read in the Daily Nipple she's a great woman for the pipe and keeps a few whips as well.

Although I'd say whips was a misprint and they must have meant whippets.

Status
Not open for further replies.