PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Mushroom Ketchup by Geo Watkins beats the shit out of Worcestershire Sauce, Henderson's is just a classic on chips if you are making a chip sandwich but then you need a spicy pickled onion on the side with the Birds Eye chili peppers in the vinegar. The wife dips her chips in mayonnaise which means she will never be a true Brit since the Finn's do f*cked up stuff with chips!

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
Something I have only found in my corner of Wales. Rissole and chips. Always with curry sauce. Salt and vinegar of course.
My favourite.

Very nice when eaten in Tenby, Saundersfoot, Aberaeron, New Quay, Burry Port. Although a pretty Welsh harbour town is not essential. But it helps.

1653336169159.png

Jan 27, 2020
Something I have only found in my corner of Wales. Rissole and chips. Always with curry sauce. Salt and vinegar of course.
My favourite.

Very nice when eaten in Tenby, Saundersfoot, Aberaeron, New Quay, Burry Port. Although a pretty Welsh harbour town is not essential. But it helps.

View attachment 147110

Is that marinara sauce in the top right corner?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes, 5 Guys is more than generous with its fries. One "small" order feeds both my wife and me, and we aren't dainty eaters.

I've probably had catsup on a hot dog, but I know at some purist hot dog stands, they don't offer catsup except for fries. Mustard, onions, chili, pickles and more, but catsup, never. In the Chicago area, they can be very strict. It's considered impolite in the extreme.

Reactions: petes03

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
I've never thought to have that combo, but, I do like mayo on my Bologna/baloney sandwiches. Bologna is like a giant uncooked hot dog, so, I wonder if the hot dog and mayo combo might not be as bad as it sounds.
On a sandwich, the mayonnaise serves as an architectural element, like adhesive, cementing things together. There is no such justification with a wiener where the bun acts as a c-clamp physically holding the contents in situ.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I've never thought to have that combo, but, I do like mayo on my Bologna/baloney sandwiches. Bologna is like a giant uncooked hot dog, so, I wonder if the hot dog and mayo combo might not be as bad as it sounds.
Being from Detroit, chili with mustard and onion are king. Personally, I also enjoy a good Chicago dog run through the garden or a New York dog with sauerkraut (or onion sauce).

On a rare occasion, where at a cookout and they are serving Bar-S dogs, I may put coleslaw on to make a Carolina style dog (which involves mayo to some extent and isn't half bad - nor is mayonnaise on a baloney sandwich bad either).

Note, I only buy Bar-S dogs to make pickled hot dogs or to use as decoys when I am running the grill (since some people don't appreciate a good dog).

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Mayonnaise on hot dogs? No way; but then I don't like American style hot dogs anyway (dives for cover); now a proper grilled banger (UK) or snag (Aussie) in a bun with FRENCH mustard - delicious.

I've never considered putting Worcester sauce on chips either; it's an essential ingredient in cooking as far as I'm concerned but actually a decent Thai fish sauce works even better in most recipes; unfortunately I've not found anywhere locally that sells Thai fish sauce - suppose I might find it in Liberdade (that's São Paulo's Japanese district) - but most supermarkets here do sell Worcester sauce (Molho Inglese in Portuguese, trans. English Sauce).

By the way, if you are in Brazil you see mayonnaise (maionese in Portuguese) listed in the side dishes on a menu it will be mixed vegetables (legumes) in mayonnaise which is a very common side dish here.

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
Part of a good sonaran hot dog is Mayo so yes they do go together.