PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Commander McBragg

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2021
Wisconsin
There might be lots of people that cringe with the thought of using a zippo on a pipe. But I personally like using a zippo. I have a few different zippos. They were all becoming sort of boring to me after a while. I wanted something different and rather than buy yet another zippo I decided to make some of my zippos something I hated to put down. Here are a couple of my zippos I screwed around with. Do any of you do anything to jazz up your zippos or any other lighters?image.jpg

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I have a Zippo that I don't use. I like the idea of a Zippo, and is great for some things, lighting tobacco isn't one (I hate the naphtha taste on initial light). But the main reason I don't use a Zippo even for camping or lighting candles, is they're a pita to deal with. Refilling them isn't hard, just tedious and the refill doesn't last long, and if it sits without use, you've wasted all the fluid as it evaporates. Weekly or bi-weekly refilling with regular use (pack-a-day smoker here) makes it not worth it when a $1 gets me a Bic that'll last a few months.

Anyway, I haven't zhuzhed it up because it's already noice. It was a gift, and aside from not liking using them, I wouldn't want to mess this one up anyway (I have a thing for unicorn stuff):
PXL_20220815_050940694.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have a Zippo that I don't use. I like the idea of a Zippo, and is great for some things, lighting tobacco isn't one (I hate the naphtha taste on initial light). But the main reason I don't use a Zippo even for camping or lighting candles, is they're a pita to deal with. Refilling them isn't hard, just tedious and the refill doesn't last long, and if it sits without use, you've wasted all the fluid as it evaporates. Weekly or bi-weekly refilling with regular use (pack-a-day smoker here) makes it not worth it when a $1 gets me a Bic that'll last a few months.

Anyway, I haven't zhuzhed it up because it's already noice. It was a gift, and aside from not liking using them, I wouldn't want to mess this one up anyway (I have a thing for unicorn stuff):
View attachment 162929
Yeah, Zippo does a right fine job of stock snazzy pipes.

20220815_011510.jpg

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Love to see tinkering!

I like my Zippos smooth going in and out of pockets so I can't see myself doing anything custom that would affect the profile, but I like what you've done! Have one in the "Sherlock Holmes Master of Detectives', so I'm not afraid of a little etching. :)

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
I use a Zippo daily, just the plain brass version. I like the patina that brass takes on after time and use. Nothing fancy but it's visually appealing to my eye. Also, something about the simplicity and efficiency of a design that has been around for decades also appeals to me. I typically need to refill my Zippo maybe a couple of times a week. Only takes a moment and is no problem for me. I've never tasted the fluid nor have I ever had my tobacco tainted by off odors or flavors. But of course I wait a brief moment after striking before I light my tobacco. For me, it's a time tested and true tool that works well for what I need it to do.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
this reminds me one time me and some friends found this old zippo in the grass. It had obviously been hand etched. Not a pro job at all, not bad but not pro. It sorta was made into a dog tag. Not quite but it had some of the info on it that people claim is on those tags. Then a brief bit about how much Nam freaking sucks. I don't know if they were ever able to find the rightful owner of it. Weird how there are things you never think about and then some little thing suddenly triggers the memory.

Commander McBragg

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2021
Wisconsin
I love all the pictures. My next one I’m doing is I have a retro 1943 zippo. I just ordered a replica Burma star medal like one of the medals my granddad was awarded after ww2. he was in the Royal British navy. So I’m putting that on there with a bit of the ribbon on the lid. I’ll get it tomorrow. I can’t wait to post some pictures.