Making a pipe stand How do you cut the nice even ovals for the bowls to sit in?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
I would like to make myself a pipe stand and was just wondering what type of bit you use to cut the nice long oval shapes that the pipe bowl sits in?
Any suggestions would be great.

Chris

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I use a 1.375" Forsner bit to make a round hole approximately 0.25" deep. Not quite as nice as the ovals but it works very well for me.

lvacgar

Lurker
Feb 27, 2015
Sarasota, Florida
I have wondered the same thing. Plunging that forstner bit twice to the same depth but a small distance apart would yield that oval with a little cleanup...

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
A bowl bit of the proper size will, usually in two strokes, will provide the rounded bottom and the oval shape. A Forstner bit is a drill bit which leaves a groove, easily cleaned up, and a flat rather than bowl shaped bottom resting surface for the pipe. The router bit will leave a nice oval dish shape.
The rest hole can be shaped (engineered?) in various ways. I prefer the router as it is not a tedious job, leaves a fairly clean depression which requires little cleanup. The edges are sharp. Various hand tools such as gouges and chisels can also be used for the "scooped" shape. I find such work to be tedious. Others enjoy crafting the rest entirely by hand.
Quick and dirty with drill bits or a little more time with a "finished" look with the router. Choices! Always choices!

Status
Not open for further replies.