PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
So, I recently got my first ever silver spigot. I don't anticipate needing to take the stem out as it passes a pipe cleaner better than any pipe I own, (yes, it's a straight Peterson :LOL: ). But was wondering if there is any special consideration to keep in mind if/when I do. Do you simply twist the silver end of the stem out of the mortise? Thanks.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I don’t think there’s much special with maintenance. I have a Peterson straight billiard silver spigot and it’s much more sturdy and tolerant of rough handling than a mortise and tenon arrangement.

I do suggest taking it apart for cleaning, as running a pipe cleaner through will not clean the whole area of the stem and shank that needs cleaning.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I echo Casual...take it apart and clean it. The end of the stem in particular gets lots of gunk built up over a few smokes. Also use a jeweler's cloth to polish the silver as needed to keep it looking fresh. Mine tarnish remarkably quickly. But they are pretty bombproof as far as construction goes.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I have a couple of Peterson spigots, I love them❤️. Like someone already said, they're pretty bulletproof. The other thing I love about them (as well as being nice to look at) is you can break them down when they're hot, no waiting for them to cool before cleaning.
I always break them down after a bowl as I like to clean the little semi system reservoir with a cue tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.