PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
It looks like a bill that would ban the sale of flavored tobacco in the Maine legislature is moving forward. Here is a link to an article which has updates on tobacco legislation in nine states:

An Update on 12 Tobacco-Related State Bills

From the article: Maine: LD1550 / H.P. 1155, which prohibits the sale and distribution of all flavored tobacco products and ENDS (includes menthol products), reported out of the Joint Committee on Health and Human Services with divided reports on June 14, 2021. LD1693 / H.P.1258, which bans the sale of all flavored tobacco products (e. g. cigarettes, cigars, snuff, chew, END), increases the cigarette tax to $4.00 per pack and eliminates the cigarette stamping discount to distributors, was approved for carryover on June 3, 2021.

Interestingly, the article states that Delaware has voted to decrease the tax on premium cigars from 30% to 15%--this shows what good lobbying can accomplish.

As some on this forum have noted, pipe tobacco is under attack and may well suffer death from a thousand cuts.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I couldn't concentrate long enough to study the proposed bill, but I presume the theory is that flavored tobacco products entice minors to smoke.

Reactions: SoddenJack

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
If you want to do something get organized and start bugging people about it.
I've contacted my senators and congressman about tobacco related issues, as well as others. I usually just get a generic email thanking me for my interest without them even stating their position.

Thankfully I live in Missouri, where they don't seem to bother pipe tobacco too much. However, the state legislature recently voted to collect sales tax on internet sales so my online purchases will soon cost a little more.

Reactions: Kilgore Trout

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I've contacted my senators and congressman about tobacco related issues, as well as others. I usually just get a generic email thanking me for my interest without them even stating their position.

Thankfully I live in Missouri, where they don't seem to bother pipe tobacco too much. However, the state legislature recently voted to collect sales tax on internet sales so my online purchases will soon cost a little more.
I think it would have to be organized more then just people writing letters. Which I've written a few and the most shocking thing is when you get a real letter back that addresses the specifics you mentioned.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I think Maine might be one of those states that will go under water if the temperature keep goes up. I think they need all the tobacco they can get their hands on. Worrying and tobacco go well together.

TheDesertPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2021
Arizona
I guess if you live in Maine you're going to have to move down to New Hampshire. Surely they would never ban flavored tobacco since their state motto is live free or die.

Reactions: FurCoat

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Kids use of alcohol products is still a problem everywhere, yet you don't see any legislatures proposing to ban flavored liquors, beers or wines, do you?
That’s because underage alcohol use props up towns. There’s not a single dry campus in the US.
Heck, I went to college in Chicago, and directly across the street from the Water Tower campus, there was a bar called Pippin’s that opened at 10 am and catered SPECIFICALLY towards underage college students. (They’d OCCASSIONALLY make an example of someone, but rarely carded).
Go to Des Moines, Iowa City, West Lafayette, Bloomington, Champaign, Columbus, Ann Arbor, Happy Valley etc.
Non stop underage drinking

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
That’s because underage alcohol use props up towns. There’s not a single dry campus in the US.
Heck, I went to college in Chicago, and directly across the street from the Water Tower campus, there was a bar called Pippin’s that opened at 10 am and catered SPECIFICALLY towards underage college students. (They’d OCCASSIONALLY make an example of someone, but rarely carded).
Go to Des Moines, Iowa City, West Lafayette, Bloomington, Champaign, Columbus, Ann Arbor, Happy Valley etc.
Non stop underage drinking
What are you talking about? There are plenty of dry campuses across the country. I even went to one.