PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like my prince shapes a lot, nice wide bowls to give multi-tobacco blends a full ember to translate the flavors. I have a Sav Oscar Lucite, a Rossi Vittoria, and a Sav Prince of Wales long-stem version. No Castellos but pleasing pipes.

Oct 7, 2016
Another Shape from Castello that plays well with flakes
85’s are in fact rarely made. I used to own a 1970’s vintage Black Sea Rock kkkk 85. Today, the shank is thicker, particularly at the transition. I have seen exactly one on eBay with a shape number (they stopped using shape numbers circa 1990 per Rich Esserman’s opinion), a Sea Rock that looked like it came from Bucky Beaver’s collection, in the last 4 years. The only one I have seen for sale new in that time period is the example linked above.

forflakessake

Lurker
Jun 26, 2020
ON, Canada
Exorcism update:
- 2x salt/alcohol soak
- Countless pipe cleaners through shank/stem
smoke 3 post clean:

The military mount makes this smoke moistly to me. I stuff it gently with the pipe cleaner frequently through the smoke to keep it dry( and also to help the cleaning).

After each smoke, there is more aggressive shank cleaning, and so far the spiciness is residing.
I believe the stem itself is still compromised as it has a taste when separated from the pipe, hopefully I can replace the flavours. It seems to be progressing so fingers crossed...

I predict I’ll get to a point where I’ll only need the pipe cleaner mid smoke for anti gurgle, but probably another dozen smokes is my guess.

Oct 7, 2016
Exorcism update:
- 2x salt/alcohol soak
smoke 3 post clean:

The military mount makes this smoke moistly to me. I stuff it gently with the pipe cleaner frequently through the smoke to keep it dry( and also to help the cleaning).

After each smoke, there is more aggressive shank cleaning, and so far the spiciness is residing.
I believe the stem itself is still compromised as it has a taste when separated from the pipe, hopefully I can replace the flavours. It seems to be progressing so fingers crossed...

I predict I’ll get to a point where I’ll only need the pipe cleaner mid smoke for anti gurgle, but probably another dozen smokes is my guess.
You might try running a pipe cleaner or two moistened in a 50/50 mix of acetone ( I use Kroger fingernail polish remover) and 91% IPA or 190 proof PGA through the stem.
Packing looser might help with the gurgling. My Castello Military mounts don’t have that issue

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Mike is top notch. I don't see or understand any perceived issue here. You want first looks, sign up. How else can he send out an alert? Don't want to sign up and be notified, wait. Seems rather simple to me but certainly nothing evil going on. Just business.

forflakessake

Lurker
Jun 26, 2020
ON, Canada
You might try running a pipe cleaner or two moistened in a 50/50 mix of acetone ( I use Kroger fingernail polish remover) and 91% IPA or 190 proof PGA through the stem.
Packing looser might help with the gurgling. My Castello Military mounts don’t have that issue
Thanks for the tips, I am being patient with it and will keep these in mind. I already really enjoy using the pipe despite the "bonus" in the flavour.

Reactions: oldgeezersmoker

forflakessake

Lurker
Jun 26, 2020
ON, Canada
I forget to update this, a salt treatment and a coffee treatment later, and this thing definitely smokes incredibly! made in the 60s and still rocking high quality smokes!

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Exorcism update:
- 2x salt/alcohol soak
smoke 3 post clean:

and now you see why someone let it go :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: forflakessake

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The late great foggymountain was a Dunhill White Spot guru on here, to me, though I am not a Dunhill guy. His last pipe purchases were White Spot princes from Al Pascia. Foggy had sold Dunhills at pipe shops in Manhattan as a teenager, probably the mid-fifties, when Kaywoodie was the expensive pipe and Dunhills were second, and both were within reach of most working people. In later years, he went with smaller pipes in the prince shape.

Reactions: kcghost and BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.