PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Davy Jones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2022
7 Seas
Anybody owns one? I would intuitively think it's better as long as the magnet does its job but was wondering what the actual owners think of it. Do you prefer them to the traditional one with the key lock mechanism?
I'm asking because I might need a 2nd humidor for my cigars and am considering trying this option.
Thanks, ladies/gents/mateys.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I don't think there is a big difference in the locking mechanisms. What i'm always concerned about with wooden humidors; will they be as a good as a sealed plastic tub? I also considered a nice wooden humidor and only saw (except for looking pretty) downsides to it.

So no answer to your question, considered a tupperdore? Put in your Boveda with a rh measuring device, let acclimate to the right rh and put in cigars. I would pick a plastic tub and change for cigars anyday.

Reactions: Davy Jones
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
The only humidor I have with a magnetic fastener is one of my travel humidors (a Nat Sherman made by Mastro de Paja). The fit and finish of this humidor has never been great, but, the magnet does what it's supposed to, which is keep the lid from swinging open by itself.

I have several humidors with lock and key mechanisms, and sometimes the alignment can be problematic depending on atmospheric humidity. I would be more concerned with the fit of the lid to the base of the humidor. Is it a requirement to be able to lock the humidor? Kids? Friends that have light fingers? More often than not, I don't bother using the keys with my humidors; easy access is preferable. Aesthetically, I loved the Ambiente humidors I had by Daniel Marshall in the early '90s without locks. The clean, black lines and curves with no gold to disturb the simple visual was very appealing. Unfortunately, he hadn't yet figured out how to keep the humidification devices from bubbling his finishes and I had to return them all.

In my experience being a cigar smoker since the early '90s, a good wooden humidor makes a big difference in storage and melding and enhancement of flavours over a Tupperdore (mainly because of the cedar lining). I gifted a friend with a humidor recently and he was surprised and amazed how much better his cigars tasted than the ones from his Tupperdore (he did a test using identical cigars in each).

Reactions: Davy Jones

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
The only humidor I have with a magnetic fastener is one of my travel humidors (a Nat Sherman made by Mastro de Paja). The fit and finish of this humidor has never been great, but, the magnet does what it's supposed to, which is keep the lid from swinging open by itself.

I have several humidors with lock and key mechanisms, and sometimes the alignment can be problematic depending on atmospheric humidity. I would be more concerned with the fit of the lid to the base of the humidor. Is it a requirement to be able to lock the humidor? Kids? Friends that have light fingers? More often than not, I don't bother using the keys with my humidors; easy access is preferable. Aesthetically, I loved the Ambiente humidors I had by Daniel Marshall in the early '90s without locks. The clean, black lines and curves with no gold to disturb the simple visual was very appealing. Unfortunately, he hadn't yet figured out how to keep the humidification devices from bubbling his finishes and I had to return them all.

In my experience being a cigar smoker since the early '90s, a good wooden humidor makes a big difference in storage and melding and enhancement of flavours over a Tupperdore (mainly because of the cedar lining). I gifted a friend with a humidor recently and he was surprised and amazed how much better his cigars tasted than the ones from his Tupperdore (he did a test using identical cigars in each).
I cheated and use a portable refrigerator/cooler with beads,
18B3CE04-04D5-4216-A5AB-44DB0AD1ABB1.jpeg
put cedar in side as well to flavor??
I do not use cooling feature, as it would ruin cigars.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Anybody owns one? I would intuitively think it's better as long as the magnet does its job but was wondering what the actual owners think of it. Do you prefer them to the traditional one with the key lock mechanism?
I'm asking because I might need a 2nd humidor for my cigars and am considering trying this option.
Thanks, ladies/gents/mateys.

I tried one when I first started smoking cigars and found it vastly inferior. The best seal for a wooden humidor is a wood-on-wood lip - once they are appropriately seasoned, they swell and provide a great seal.

If you're looking for a budget humidor, I can't recommend a cooler highly enough. New coolers need to be washed and typically sat in the sun for a couple days to remove the plastic smell, but a 70 qt cooler is what I use for aging boxes, while one of 3 desktops serves for daily use.

Reactions: Bengel