PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
So I had been admiring several companies offerings and ideas for including leather pipe stands and decided I wanted to make myself one. Off to Goodwill I went in the search of old leather belts (my favorite source for leather strapping). I found the perfect candidate. Took it home, cut a strip long enough, then bored a hole through the ends, applied a post and screw and stuck one of my czech tools inside. It works beautifully! Just got tired of only getting a half bowl smoked, then having to walk back inside and having to find a place to rest my pipe without it turning over and dumping hot ash everywhere.
20181010_094059-402x600.jpg

20181010_094116-449x600.jpg

20181010_093856-600x384.jpg

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Now that, is a great idea. A touch of stain on the one end and you would think it came from an upscale shop. I'll borrow your idea if you don't mind.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Nice work, and very creative with the Czech tool addition. I can see how that would be a good tool to accompany you in an outdoors smoke. I've got a leather pipe stand that I keep on my wooden smoking tray, and I use it with every smoke.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Borrow away! I just hate spending money on accouterments if I can make it myself for a lot less $$ and spend more $$ on tobacco and pipes! I also really enjoy re-purposing things if I can.
A touch of stain on the one end and you would think it came from an upscale shop.
Yeah, I need a burnisher too, for sure, probably can make one from all the ample wood scraps in the garage. Planning to buy some dyes for my pipe I'm carving now as well, so I could just rob a little from that to stain it up nice.
I can see how that would be a good tool to accompany you in an outdoors smoke.
Exactly! And since you don't really need the tool when you're resting your pipe, it doesn't really matter if it's unavailable at the time. Just pick up the pipe, then use the tool you need! It slips right in my back pocket with my lighter very easily.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
There's a certain satisfaction when you re-purpose an object. I'm with you on that. If you are looking for a stain, Fiebing’s leather dye (dark brown, tan, black) is useful for both your stand and your pipes.
The book you are reading; any good? What authors would you suggest?!

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Yeah, that's the dye I'm going for, just have yet to buy any. Still deciding what colors I want without going overboard.
The book series is called Chronicles of the Necromancer, by Gail Z. Martin, with this one, book two, called The Blood King. The first one in the series is called The Summoner, and they're good. I've read a lot of reviews and a lot of people don't think she does a good job with world building, and focuses more on the characters, which for me, I like. I dig it and could suggest it. I buy the $7-$8 paperbacks though, so it's a good book series for the price. Really nice fantasy series if you're in to that. Only one gripe is that the publisher or editor sucks. There's a lot of missing words and punctuation throughout so if you get it, don't be surprised to find yourself reading a line that doesn't make sense, but I get through it because it's a really good story. It's got fighting, some magicked beasts, mages, rogues, vampires, and even a little bit of lovey-doveyness, but not terrible. Basically, I enjoy it and look forward to finishing this one soon.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I'll check it out thanks. I prefer books that focus on the characters and build their personalities. More depth, ya know? Not a fan of books that race along at breakneck speed. A great series that I would suggest is Barbara Hambly's "The Time of The Dark". It's been around a long time so you may have already read it. If not, enjoy. Laurel K Hamilton has a series "Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter" that overall is quite good but she veers off the path at one point. You'll get it if you get far enough along into the series.
My current fav these days is Louis Penny. She's a top notch crime/mystery writer. Here books are an intelligent read especially for that genre. She has won all kinds of awards and sits at the top of the New York Times best sellers list.
I picked up my stain at "Michael's" arts and crafts store. Don't know if you have them down your way.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Nice pipe rest!
Only one gripe is that the publisher or editor sucks. There's a lot of missing words and punctuation throughout so if you get it, don't be surprised to find yourself reading a line that doesn't make sense...
We are all forum readers and, therefore, quite accustomed to this format. :lol:
jay-roger.jpg

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
We are all forum readers and, therefore, quite accustomed to this format. :lol:
Oh how very true you are. Especially when you consider the legendary "The Frank Method" thread...that one would have a grammarologist completely seething with anger.
Borrow away, upnorth! Hope it works out well for you! Just as a side not, the length of leather I thought worked best was about 10". Any more than that and I felt like it wouldn't hold my pipes too well.
No problem, mau1! I'll check on those you supplied too. I've been steadily trying to keep a list of a lot of fantasy authors that are near a lot of reviewers top 10 lists to see what I want to go on to next when this is done, but I'll certainly check on the ones you mentioned, so thanks for that.

Jan 8, 2013
Very nice, Carolina! I've seen a few like that. And yours is just as nice if not nicer. I've made a few myself, but without the screw or czech tool. On mine I simply cut a slit nearly through one end so they join together like a puzzle. Mine just serves a purpose. Yours is much nicer... enjoy the heck out of it! ;)

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Great idea CCW! I see one of those in my future...next rainy day. Hangin' out in the garage making a CCW inspired leather pipe holder.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Thanks guys! It was so easy to do too. With a sharp knife and a drill press, I had this made in about 15 minutes. I still have more of the belt left, so I'll probably make a few more so I have one where and when I want it. It is quite practical and does look pretty nice. I wanted to find a belt that had a pattern tooled into it, but alas, this was all could find, but I still really like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.