PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Oh lucky me. Not only do i have the morning off, but my SPC order arrived this morning! Two tins of Royal Twist.

Of course i couldn't resist, so ill give my first (as I smoke my first bowl) impression:

This is damn good, and I'm already pissed I only ordered two tins. Its not as spicy as I was expecting, but the spice component is there and complements the bright, sweet VAs perfectly. There is just a hint of that MacBaren maple-type casing, at least initially. The DFK isn't overpowering, and the perique is there in a fairly strong role. I can only imagine that this stuff will age great, and we'll be trading and selling tins of this into the future.

I'll update as I smoke more and develop a taste for this, I hope as tins land out there that others will add their thoughts.

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
I believe this would have been gobbled up in a day had Sun Bear not been realeased the week before.

Oct 7, 2016
I'll be curious to hear how this compares to Doblone d'Oro.
Based on one bowl, there won’t be any confusion. The DarkFired Kenyan/Perique combo in Doblones is much more forward than the Dark Fired Kentucky/Perique contribution to Royal Twist. I would say RT is a Virginiacentric, sweeter, blend. If we were using wine review terminology, I would say Doblones is dry to the point of almost being austere. The maple sugar that MacB uses as a binder for the coins is apparent, but not by any means overpoweringly, with RT. I get little of it, if any, in Doblones, but a very short time in the tin and full Doblones coins have to be carefully picked out, kind of like Cabbies.

Decent smoke, I don’t pass judgment on one bowl. I have smoked lots of Doblones over the last five tears or so, of all different tin dates, and pretty much always have a tin open (working now on a tin dated 6/2014). I think the blend has changed a little in more recent years, but even recent vintages still suit me fine. I got five tins, will certainly finish this one over the next month or so, then we’ll see f it makes the rebuy list, which frankly at my age (71), few things do. And since they sold out over a weekend, I am sure it will come back around.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Based on one bowl, there won’t be any confusion. The DarkFired Kenyan/Perique combo in Doblones is much more forward than the Dark Fired Kentucky/Perique contribution to Royal Twist. I would say RT is a Virginiacentric, sweeter, blend. If we were using wine review terminology, I would say Doblones is dry to the point of almost being austere. The maple sugar that MacB uses as a binder for the coins is apparent, but not by any means overpoweringly, with RT. I get little of it, if any, in Doblones, but a very short time in the tin and full Doblones coins have to be carefully picked out, kind of like Cabbies.

Decent smoke, I don’t pass judgment on one bowl. I have smoked lots of Doblones over the last five tears or so, of all different tin dates, and pretty much always have a tin open (working now on a tin dated 6/2014). I think the blend has changed a little in more recent years, but even recent vintages still suit me fine. I got five tins, will certainly finish this one over the next month or so, then we’ll see f it makes the rebuy list, which frankly at my age (71), few things do. And since they sold out over a weekend, I am sure it will come back around.
Thanks for the info. I'm sitting on quite a bit of Doblone and not planning on buying more tobacco. It does sound tempting though with it being a little sweeter as you say. If it comes back maybe I'll snag a tin or two.

Oct 7, 2016
Any relation to Three Nuns Green?
I smoked one tin of 3 Nuns Green, thought it was very close to Doblones. Including that the coins were loose like Doblones. But except when it went on sale at close out, 250 g tins of 3NG cost a good bit more than 100 g tin of Doblones. COJ had a sale a few weeks ago, 15% off, and I picked up 6 Doblones for a hair under $100, shipped. I can usually find somebody willing to sell Doblones in the 6 for $100 range.