PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 13, 2020
missouri
Turns out I had one tin of Club Blend in the cellar from 3/18. After recently smoking Dark Twist and loving it, had to pop the tin and load up. Very similar, not as sweet, very rich and spicy from the DFK. I catch little to no maple flavors, just some sweet flavors in the background from the Virginia content. Super nice blend, I'll be departing a few pounds of this blend along with Dark Twist.
I've been hitting Stockton and Dark Twist pretty hard lately. I have a tin of Roll Cake that I look forward to popping in the near future. I must have over looked Club Blend when I was ordering their variety of Roll Cakes, so I'll have to get a tin to sample. I'm in the same mindset as you. May just have to load up on this stuff.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Turns out I had one tin of Club Blend in the cellar from 3/18. After recently smoking Dark Twist and loving it, had to pop the tin and load up. Very similar, not as sweet, very rich and spicy from the DFK. I catch little to no maple flavors, just some sweet flavors in the background from the Virginia content. Super nice blend, I'll be departing a few pounds of this blend along with Dark Twist.
Club blend has unflavored cavendished KY rather than DFK like dark twist or Stockton.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I sort of find it amusing that everyone is discovering these now. I’ve loved them for years! Along with that guy tobacco juice.
Is Mac Baren the next obscure tobacco? The hoards are coming, the shelves will be empty soon! Everyone hurry, buy it now while you still can!

I blame you @BROBS you just had to keep talking about how good their blends are. You see what you’ve done!?‍♂️

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I'm discovering a lot of blends now, having only been at the pipe for about 9 months. Makes me wish I'd have picked it up way sooner.

I have you to thank for getting me on the Dark Twist.
I don't mean you.. but people who have been smoking pipes for years !

I guess Mac B was one of my first brands I liked because I discovered it at the local B&M and was able to get quite a few different 100g tins of stuff to try.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
what's the cavendish then?
I just checked, tobacco reviews says differently. Regardless, the flavor I get is DFK.

View attachment 41727

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
what's the cavendish then?

I have no idea and don't care. I just smoke them and have found no need or desire to do a detailed analysis. I also do not claim to have a discerning palate. I either dislike it, can tolerate it, it is good and would smoke it from time to time, like it quite a bit and cellar around 3 lb or love it and cellar 10 lb. Knowing it has Cavendish or DFK matters not at all. Cavendish is just heat and pressure treated tobacco done so to sweeten it. So it could be DFK Cavendish I suppose. I don't give a shit one way or the other. My taster says "I like, buy more".

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I have no idea and don't care. I just smoke them and have found no need or desire to do a detailed analysis. I also do not claim to have a discerning palate. I either dislike it, can tolerate it, it is good and would smoke it from time to time, like it quite a bit and cellar around 3 lb or love it and cellar 10 lb. Knowing it has Cavendish or DFK matters not at all. Cavendish is just heat and pressure treated tobacco done so to sweeten it. So it could be DFK Cavendish I suppose. I don't give a shit one way or the other. My taster says "I like, buy more".
haha. I agree with you. I just find it interesting to try to figure out what's different or what is in different tobaccos.

sometimes it's very difficult as the manufacturers often put out varying information and descriptions.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
haha. I agree with you. I just find it interesting to try to figure out what's different or what is in different tobaccos.

sometimes it's very difficult as the manufacturers often put out varying information and descriptions.

That's kewl. When I go to a steak house, I never ask them to trot out the cow so I can stick my hand up its arse before I order my steak. I don't care if the cow foraged for grass, was fed hay or ate the corn out of pig shit, when I'm served the steak, if it's cooked right and tastes good, I pay my bill and leave a nice tip. Later, if I'm lucky, I pass some gas and pull the covers over my wife's head. When I wake up on the floor later, I go take a dump and find the couch.

TMI? Exactly. Same as needing to know the exact ingredients in the blend I'm smoking.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
That's kewl. When I go to a steak house, I never ask them to trot out the cow so I can stick my hand up its arse before I order my steak. I don't care if the cow foraged for grass, was fed hay or ate the corn out of pig shit, when I'm served the steak, if it's cooked right and tastes good, I pay my bill and leave a nice tip. Later, if I'm lucky, I pass some gas and pull the covers over my wife's head. When I wake up on the floor later, I go take a dump and find the couch.

TMI? Exactly. Same as needing to know the exact ingredients in the blend I'm smoking.
I don't think so at all. And true "steak connoisseurs" would most likely want to know all the info you don't care about.

I want to know the ingredients etc so that I can know whether I may like a similar blend based on ingredients before purchase. If you get to know what you like, you don't have to buy a sample of a blend you haven't tried.. you can go to straight cellaring.

Reactions: DAR

J.Henry845

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 22, 2019
Dutchess County, NY
Also check out the Newminster Superior Round Slices. Very similar and like half the price! Even made by Mac Baren ?

I bought 8ozs of the Superior Round Slices on a sale a couple of years ago and it definitely improved with age. I find it smokes best when it seems too dry and the coins are packed without rubbing out. Smokes best in a Meerschaum in my experience. A meer may help those that get the MacBite.

Status
Not open for further replies.