PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Hey pipers.

I have acquired some of MacBaren's navy flake. It is easy to handle and smokes well. The topping, however, is a little too much for me. Do you think this blend would benefit from jarring? I think it is mostly burley with some virginia and danish cavendish.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I agree. Keep it around. It will mellow and your taste will develop. Try it in a year or two and it could be a whole new day.

leatherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2017
I recently had a sample of that blend that had been jarred bulk at the tobacconist. I didn't think the topping was too heavy, but I'm not sure how it compares to yours. Maybe the jarring allowed it to mellow a bit.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Navy Flake becomes transcendental with age. Truly. Jar it up, come back in 15 years. Magic. I bought a very old tin at Chicago a couple years ago, we cracked it and passed it around... everyone who got some figured it was maybe the best thing they'd ever smoked.
That said, Navy Flake does VERY well with a little air... come back to it in a couple weeks and you may find that things have settled out nicely. I used to think this was malarkey, but have had enough recent experience where blends "opened up" after we opened the tin (and smoked immediately).

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Fanatics trust nothing to the contrivances of man such as tins and jar everything. But most tins will hold up over time, and the cautious check them several times a year while the spendthrift don't bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.