PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
When I think of all the tobacco blends that I have smoked in the last 41 years, it is amazing to me that I had never purchased any MacBaren HH Burley Flake. So with my last purchase from West Virginia Pike Shop I ordered a tin. I am very impressed with the quality of everything with this tin, from the Gold wrap on the nicely cut flakes, to the perfect moisture, to the quality tobacco and on and on and on. The taste is such a fine quality Burley that burns cool, smokes smooth and at a nice pace. It leaves a nice lingering taste in the mouth that says "How about another bowl." It may have been my first tin of MacBaren HH Burley Flake, but it will not be my last. At the speed that I'm going through this tin, it may not be much longer until another order is made. If my new Burley lover friends on Pipe Forum haven't tried it yet, I highly recommend it. I look forward to your feedback.

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
I found HH BF in to be heavier on the VA than I was expecting, but all in all I think it's a good blend. I just wish it had more oomph to it, but then again it's nice to have Burley blends that don't hit you like a truck. I usually smoke this or Solano ABF during the day, when I rarely smoke and when I do smoke, I don't want a heavy nicotine blend.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I have smoked through one tin of it. It was pleasant enough, but I experience the burley "nuttyness" as sour, not the nice soursweet tingle from virginias but a heavier sourdough or unflavored yoghurt like sourness that I'm not a fan of in my smoke.
An alternative to HH Burley Flake is MacBaren's Golden Blend. I've only just tried a bowl of it, so take this with a pinch of salt but it seems to me that the Burley Flake is modeled on the Golden Blend, only without some additives that make the Golden Blend slightly less sour, slightly sweeter, like cereals or bread, not sugar sweet by any means.
I prefer the Golden Blend so far, by far.

Effortlessdepths

Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
I have smoked through one tin of it. It was pleasant enough, but I experience the burley "nuttyness" as sour, not the nice soursweet tingle from virginias but a heavier sourdough or unflavored yoghurt like sourness that I'm not a fan of in my smoke.
An alternative to HH Burley Flake is MacBaren's Golden Blend. I've only just tried a bowl of it, so take this with a pinch of salt but it seems to me that the Burley Flake is modeled on the Golden Blend, only without some additives that make the Golden Blend slightly less sour, slightly sweeter, like cereals or bread, not sugar sweet by any means.
I prefer the Golden Blend so far, by far.
So THAT explains it. That's why I thought I was picking up on the Virginias too much. I thought a few times that it might have been a heavy casing.

Effortlessdepths

Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
I'm a little confused right now. I don't think there is any "sauce" in Burley Flake.
I was referring to the additives that you mentioned that were in HH Burley Flake but not in Golden blend. I think those additives that give it that sour taste that I noticed too, and had mistaken for the VA. That's what I meant by sauce, the additives

Effortlessdepths

Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
Burley Flake is a good tobacco. I believe all HH tobaccos have minimal additives. I bet there's more "sauce" in this one than in the others but without any it would probably taste too bad to smoke, get moldy or something.
I agree. There is definitely an additive or casing. But I'm not complaining, I do like this blend. I was just surprised with how tangy it was. I enjoy it with black tea in the morning on occasion

Reactions: luigi and WVOldFart

spicy_boiii

Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
HH Burley Flake:

More on the cocoa side than the nutty/earthy side like my other burley favorites. The Virginia in it is good. Lends sweetness but doesn't distract from the Burley.

Burns slow but very easily. The flavors get stifled when too much ash builds over the ember, which is solved easily enough. Almost zero moisture in the bowl after a long smoke.

Despite the small amount of DFK in the blend, it has a large affect on the flavor. Lends a good floral taste, and pairs well with the sourced varietals used.

Very easy to rub out and pack.

Not sure how much I'd buy when the stuff runs out, but I'd like to always have some on hand as it's actually pretty unique.

Reactions: WVOldFart

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I was referring to the additives that you mentioned that were in HH Burley Flake but not in Golden blend. I think those additives that give it that sour taste that I noticed too, and had mistaken for the VA. That's what I meant by sauce, the additives
I think you've misread me. I meant the opposite. Golden Blend has something added, not Burley Flake.

pip01

Apr 3, 2018
NJ
I enjoy HH Burley Flake as well. You should also give Solani ABF and Wessex Burley Slice a go. All are similar in presentaion but have a slightly different flavor profile....You should also give Golden Extra a whirl.