PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
So glad to hear this is coming back for a limited run!

Last year (2018) I stumbled across a tin from the last run which I believe was somewhere around 10yrs old. When it got cooler here in Vegas (I know I know desert rats don't know cold) I rehydrated some of it and smoked it for about a week and a half. Loved the flavors. Just incredible cocoa chocolate nutty earthy tones. It was a really nice easy going all day type of Burley blend.

Very excited to see what this limited run is like since it's fresh.

Love the fact they brought back the classic tin art for this run.

Would love to hear others thoughts on the old blend or the new release if you've had a few bowls of it already.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I cellared a few pounds of it when I learned it was being discontinued. Here's my review of it:

The burleys were high quality: a lot of nuts and cocoa with notes of honey, oats, some molasses, and slight spice with a dry, woody, rough edge from the white burley. The Virginia was citrusy sweet and a little grassy in the background. A little cocoa topping was evident. The strength was in the center of mild to medium, while the taste level was a step past that mark. The nic-hit was mild. Could nip at the tongue only if puffed like a steam engine, which could also produce some cigarette notes, which is a common trait with burleys. The flakes were easy to break apart, and fit in a pipe as one preferred. Puffed at a moderate rate, it burned cool and clean and just a bit slow with a very consistent mildly sweet, lightly savory flavor. Seldom left much moisture in the bowl, and required a few relights. Had a pleasant after taste. Was an all day smoke. Three and a half stars. A no nonsense product.

Update 7-22-2019: I have been smoking an early 1970s production of this blend. Outside of the fact that the cocoa was a little less pronounced (likely due to the topping fading some), it's consistent in every way with the review I previously wrote.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I do love several Mac Baren Burley blends, but I’m not experienced enough to tell them apart. Even if this is just Amphora Burley with added cocoa topping I won’t be disappointed.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'm not a huge Burley fan but had another order going in at SP so I added 3 tins. I do enjoy HU Makhuwa which is Burley forward with a cocoa/chocolate topping. I expect it is something I'll enjoy smoking.

Jun 9, 2018
England
So glad to hear this is coming back for a limited run!

Last year (2018) I stumbled across a tin from the last run which I believe was somewhere around 10yrs old. When it got cooler here in Vegas (I know I know desert rats don't know cold) I rehydrated some of it and smoked it for about a week and a half. Loved the flavors. Just incredible cocoa chocolate nutty earthy tones. It was a really nice easy going all day type of Burley blend.

Very excited to see what this limited run is like since it's fresh.

Love the fact they brought back the classic tin art for this run.

Would love to hear others thoughts on the old blend or the new release if you've had a few bowls of it already.

I ordered a tin of London Burley Blend and a couple of other things for the cellar, including a (brick?) of Tabac Manil: Reserve du Patron which I've been wanting to try for a while.
They had 2 of the 3 types of Semois they sell and from what I could tell they are all the same tobacco just in different cuts?

Anyway now all I've got to do is wait a few weeks for it to travel across the pond and then let customs & excise to do their thing.

Thanks for the heads-up mate?

Reactions: aquadoc

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I put back several pounds years ago but after discovering Symphony it has taken the back seat.

grumpyoltroll

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018
Also consider Solani 656 Aged Burley flake or Wessex Burley. Heck even amphora burley is a good start.

I am not a burly tobacco guy, however, Solani Aged Burly is an excellent one to try and one of the few I found enjoyable other than burly in its Kentucky form.

Reactions: Casual

grumpyoltroll

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018
Have you tried Watch City Slices?

Not yet, but I have had it in my cart . . . waiting for when I place an order with them. I was a little scared off by the burly content in it, however, I like a good flake and this one has quite the good reviews.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Not yet, but I have had it in my cart . . . waiting for when I place an order with them. I was a little scared off by the burly content in it, however, I like a good flake and this one has quite the good reviews.
Less flake and more very large, flat crumble cakes.

img_1451-600x400.jpg

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Tins on the way. It sounds like it should be good.

Don’t be scared by the Burley content in WC Slices. Burley often hits my palate with a roughness but Slices is a blend I enjoy. Burley done right.

Reactions: BROBS

B.Fee

Lifer
Nov 28, 2019
Honolulu / Colorado
Burley London Blend
I am unable to comment on the original Mac Baren blend. But I do enjoy this " limited release " I hope that the limited part will fade into a open release. Tin art is nice and clean as they were nice to keep the ugliness on the bottom of the tin. Get some it's good.?

Attachments

• 20200104_154205.jpg
    20200104_154205.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200104_154211.jpg
    20200104_154211.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200104_154233.jpg
    20200104_154233.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 14
Status
Not open for further replies.