Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 13, 2020
missouri
Man, I've been drying it for 10 years. Actually more because the latest I could have bought it was 2010. Steve Book's handwriting was on the label and Steve left that shop around 2010. I probably bought it years before then. It was in a baggie the whole time. And it's still moist!
Impressive...

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Impressive...
Same thing with the Mac Baren Cube. I bought it in 2004, when it first came out, packaged in that fancy wooden, well, cube. I've had like maybe 5 bowls the whole time and left the rest in the fancy, unsealed, gold bag inside the cube. Still moist. Topping's still there like I day I opened it. If they stick me and the Cube in a pyramid, I bet it'd still be smokeable in 2000 years, while I've turned to dust

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Interesting. Maybe they changed the amount of humectant? Oldest I’ve had was from 2013 and it was fairly dry.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
Interesting. Maybe they changed the amount of humectant? Oldest I’ve had was from 2013 and it was fairly dry.
That's a real possibility. MB didn't develop the sterling reputation that it has today, I don't think, until the HH line. First of it was Vintage Syrian in 2006, as I recall. Before that it was Mac Bitey and goop, at least to some. Maybe it heard the complaints about the goop.

But also very reasonably priced. The price on my 2 oz bag was $5.95. It doesn't get cheaper that that for something from a B&M in this neck of the woods.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
That's a real possibility. MB didn't develop the sterling reputation that it has today,

Interesting point, I think you're right that HH changed people's perspective on Mac Baren. I'd always liked Dark Twist but otherwise never smoked much Mac Baren until the HH line. On the down side, as their prestige went up so did their prices.

Reactions: mingc and BROBS

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Judging dryness by feel with a heavy topping is very difficult. It can be below 50% RH and still feel damp.

And RH inside is often quite a bit less than the outdoor humidity.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
Interesting point, I think you're right that HH changed people's perspective on Mac Baren. I'd always liked Dark Twist but otherwise never smoked much Mac Baren until the HH line. On the down side, as their prestige went up so did their prices.
Yeah, the prices certainly have gone up, though I'm sure it'll all part of the plan! The bulks are still somewhat reasonable.

The on-line conversations that I recall were like this one in 2002: Google Groups - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/alt.smokers.pipes/mac$20bitey%7Csort:date/alt.smokers.pipes/J7IeSkWfDVI/dIWd3synCSgJ. I mean, if Trever Talbert says they bite, who am I going to believe? ?

Reactions: logs
Status
Not open for further replies.