PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
Ladies and Gents,
I took a six-month or so hiatus from the pipe and thus the forum but I have been getting back into it over the last week. Missed my pipes and everyone here dearly, but the break did come with a nice little benefit: All that tobacco I had stashed away has been aging!
Opened a tin of my longtime favorite, Mac Baren Mixture Scottish Blend. This tin was about a year and a half old when I finally cracked it and I must say, age really does change a tobacco! I love this blend with no age on it but the aged tobacco is quite a shining smoke. I realize that 1.5 years is still relatively young given some of the cellars showcased here on this forum but I suppose I'm writing to note that if that aged blends are subject to change and in this case it changed for the good!
Glad to be back.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Welcome back homeatsea. Noticed you hadn't been putting anything out there recently. Glad you're back to your pipes and that the tobacco has waited nicely on you

kanaka95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 2, 2014
Nice to have you back bro.That marinating mixture sure sounds great.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Welcome back.
I'm not a fan at all of the Scottish Mixture. I had a bowl of a 30 year old tin that was freshly opened and surprisingly the moisture content was pretty good. I smoked the tobacco in my meerschaum pipe and it burned way to hot. It scorched the hell out of my tongue. Definitely won't be smoking that blend again anytime soon.

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
Looking forward to getting to know you homeatsea. I am sure it was a good smoke for you.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome back. Glad you're enjoying your Mixture. I've got a 5 year old tin I'm gonna pop in a couple of days.
Mixture is one of those blends where technique is really important. Don't pack too tightly, and sip it -lovely stuff. Pack too tightly - smoke too fast - it will bite like a rabid wolf. I enjoy it - I don't smoke a ton of it, but it's one of those blends I like to have around. :puffy:

tankbuster183

Lurker
Feb 27, 2014
Deptford NJ
I bought some Mac Baren 'Black Ambrosia' a while back and thought it was unremarkable. Aged a year or so in a mason jar, it's much sweeter than when I bought it. I guess the Mac Baren's just need time to develop.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I had a full tin from 1976. Smoked a lot of it a passed it on to a revered member here. The difference that kind of time makes is astounding to me. Enjoy your aged blend but no real need to let it sit for 38 years.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
I bought a pouch (not a tin) of Scottish Blend from the local b&m a couple months ago.

Maybe it had been on the shelf a while, but it was quite dry and almost crumbly. Didn't seem to hurt the flavour, though.
Good stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.