PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Just purchased a few tins of this limited release and popped a tin yesterday.
The tin note greeted me with that peculiar aroma of the Dark Fired Kentucky; which alarmed me, as I’m not a big fan of DFK (I usually cut some Virginia into HH Old Dark Fired).
Nice coins, a bit on the moister side of things, but not sopping wet by any means. I typically don’t try my tobacco, preferring to adjust my packing and smoking cadence rather than to try to achieve some optimal moisture content. However; I did rub out the coins, and then set them to dry for about twenty minutes. *In the future I’ll try a straight from the tin packing to compare.

Upon initial light I was greeted with an unexpected sweetness, and experienced none of that pungent flavor I usually detect from DFK. I was pleasantly surprised that the deeper smokiness I usually get from Cyprian Latakia was more subdued, and almost akin to that creaminess I get from the Syrian Latakia in Frog Morton Across the Pond (which is my All time favorite blend).

Half way through the bowl I detected a faint wisp of the DFK which serves as the “bullseye” to the coins, but instead of being an unpleasant experience, it was a welcome nuance to break up the consistent sweet barbecue flavors of the Lat/Va combination.

The last bits of tobacco at the bottom of the bowl started to sour, so I tossed the last remaining bits. *I attribute the souring to whatever topping or casing they use in the blend, as the foot of the bowl was abnormally moist.

All in all; I was really pleased with my initial impressions of this blend. I’m hopeful that the Latakia maintains that almost creamy profile. Intrigued with what aging will provide, as well as curious if the DFK was just weak in the tin I opened, or if it is consistently mellow throughout all the tins (I’d prefer the later).
Overall I’d rate this as an above average blend that might be elevated to exceptional with some age; Though I doubt it would be elevated further to a five Star blend, even with age. Definitely worth the $20 some odd dollars I paid per tin.

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
Interesting review, I also have an open tin of this. It has taken me a few tries to really get the most out of it. Some of my taste experience parallels yours, but there are some areas I felt differently about. I am around 5 bowls deep in the tin, and have tried several means of preparing, as well as different pipe shapes. So far the best by far is my Stanwell vario lovat, no drying time from out of the tin, with a zero prep fold and stuff method. Good flavor all the way to the end, and about an hour long smoke.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I'm going to get a tin of this and smoke it for my inaugural comeback smoke!! Love the tin!!
You coming out of retirement? The tin is awesome.

Nice review @Aomalley27 . I like the Latakia rolls. I jarred 2 ounces to age for a bit and am smoking the rest. Although there isn't Turkish/Oriental leaf in the blend, I feel the DFK simulates their presence a bit with some woody and herbal notes. I do like the touch of sweetness that weaves in and out. If they bring it back next year, I'd buy another tin or two, but don't love it so much I feel the need to buy more than that. I've also tried Per Jensen's fold and stuff technique and found it works really well and keeps the Latakia from crumbling into little pieces when rubbing out.

Reactions: ofafeather

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
You coming out of retirement? The tin is awesome.

Nice review @Aomalley27 . I like the Latakia rolls. I jarred 2 ounces to age for a bit and am smoking the rest. Although there isn't Turkish/Oriental leaf in the blend, I feel the DFK simulates their presence a bit with some woody and herbal notes. I do like the touch of sweetness that weaves in and out. If they bring it back next year, I'd buy another tin or two, but don't love it so much I feel the need to buy more than that. I've also tried Per Jensen's fold and stuff technique and found it works really well and keeps the Latakia from crumbling into little pieces when rubbing out.
More than probably not. I'd bet my symptoms would be back in a few months. Before I quit my reaction to them was to smoke an extra bowl of Dark Flake. But now I need to content myself, I suppose, to wear my fedora and search out Ayahuasca.

Status
Not open for further replies.