PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Was traveling northbound on I 75 through Kentucky today and decided to exit and stop at a gas station that I knew had a cigar humidor.

I don’t smoke cigars anymore. But wanted to see if they had any interesting pipe tobacco.
Wasn’t surprised to see Half and Half, Carter Hall, Prince Albert and some of the other drug store brands.
Then, tucked away between them, I found two 3.5 oz tins of December 2015 Mac Baren HH Vintage Syrian.
Bought both and can’t wait to load up a pipe with this.
Cracked one of the tins and the aroma is amazing.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I had a similar experience a couple of years back. I went into my tobacconist to see what they still had, as they were discontinuing tinned pipe tobaccos - no market for them - and found 3 100 gram tins of 2012 Vintage Syrian, as well as other vintage goodies. Needless to say, I snapped them up.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
A B&M that I haunt had a sale on English blends a few years back to clear stock as lat blends didn't sell well, and had the 100g tins of Vintage Syrian down to $5/tin.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
They had 1/8 the amount of tobacco.
OK, forgive me, I am just trying to make a joke, and I am sorry I can't illuminate anything here.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Great find, I found one myself lost in the cellar. Was quite happy to pop it open. Still smoking it :D

yuda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2017
I have 5 tins I nicked while they were on sale at smokingpipes. Looking forward to cracking one open in a little while, gotta free some jars after all.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm pretty sure I have a years-old tin in my stash. Maybe after I crack the Haddo's Delight. My glacial progress.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
Love this stuff. It's good in either the tin or bag. I'm grateful to have nailed down a few pounds before it went the way of the dodo.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Congrats
What's even nicer is going into a cigarette & vape oriented smoke shop and discover such tins with old low price tags - discounted 50% from that for being 'old stock' that 'no ones interested in'.

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
Good stuff there, I was checking some local tobacco shops over my extensive travelling but they only have standard stuff.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Such finds are admittedly very rare. I only have come across them when passing through small towns off the beaten path. In tobacco shops now mainly selling cigarettes and vape stuff. If they, or the previous owners,,have been around long enough they might still have some old pipe tobacco inventory worth buying.

Status
Not open for further replies.