PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I've enjoyed a half-dozen bowls or so and I think it absolutely belongs in that tier of excellent dark flakes dominated by the Gawiths. It's a bit unique in that it doesn't rely on fire-cured tobaccos for it's strength. I have not had the mechanical troubles of the reviewer though as I find the flakes easy to work with. I sure hope it becomes a regular release as strong tobaccos are still a relatively under-developed market in my opinion

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Like Kyle, I purchased five tins of Rustica the moment I read the tin description. Unlike Kyle, I decided to show patience and wait a year before trying it. I've learned that the HH blends, particularly the ones with Virginia and Burley, settle and mature quite a bit with some age.

HOWEVER, after reading Kyle's review, I decided to go ahead and open a tin as the suspense is killing me. I grabbed a couple of sticks, rubbed them out and spread them out, and then loaded the leaf in my one speed food processor for some grinding. I loaded a bowl after sitting down in an easy chair with seat belt on. Oh my gosh, this is heavenly! I can't see straight right now, but then, I wasn't trying to read or watch TV. I do wish I could see straight enough to see where I laid my pipe, as I do greatly desire another puff!

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
It's very strong but not in any kind of unprecedented way. If you've enjoyed other high octane bends you should be good to go here, though you might want to start with a small bow and be ready to abort the mission at any time. If you're a fan of Virginia-based and VaBur blends you owe it to yourself to give it a shot puffy Just my opinion of course

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
You’re not to be trusted about strong blends. You're a tornado chaser telling us it’s just a hearty breeze. :LOL:
Haha that's Chansingembers. That man in an animal! :ROFLMAO: I do enjoy strong blends, but I think I'm being fair in describing this one as being in the same ballpark as GHC Dark Flake, Brown Twist or 1792. Top-of-the-food-chain strong, but within the known universe of tobacco strength

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Haha that's Chansingembers. That man in an animal! :ROFLMAO: I do enjoy strong blends, but I think I'm being fair in describing this one as being in the same ballpark as GHC Dark Flake, Brown Twist or 1792. Top-of-the-food-chain strong, but within the known universe of tobacco strength
I agree - it's strong, but not from-another-planet strong. Just a couple notches up from DFU or Bold Kentucky. It's not like it sneaks up on you, either, so you can just set the pipe down when you start to feel the wooze if you're not up for getting ripped. I'm not sold on the taste/smell, myself, but that's another matter. I'll give it another go in a couple weeks.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Thanks to Kyle for the review! I’m sure it’s a blend worth trying as it appears the flavor is viewed as both hearty & delicious. I don’t desire to smoke blends solely to get knocked on my ass...however, that is an added bonus every know and then ?. All that said, I’m sure I’ll come across a tin down the road eventually. ☕

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Very nice review. I'm sitting this one out. If it turns out this will become a regularly produced blend, I will try it. Otherwise, no. It sounds marginal whether or not I would enjoy it so I'm not risking purchasing 50 tins. On the other hand, why buy 2 tins, fall in love with it and then not be able to stock up on it? My logic anyway.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I'm too scared to try it.

It’s really not too bad, strength wise...although its certainly not mild. I’ve had a few smokes of it, all of them have been a full flake slightly loosened up, and have been able to finish it with no problem whatsoever. Honestly, too, I get a bigger nic kick from Old Joe Krantz. That shit gives me hiccups every time.

One thing that really stood out for me in this “professional” review, is when he mentioned grapefruit notes in the smoke...and it makes sense, something about Rustica reminded me of a good IPA, and it kind of drove me nuts trying to figure out what it was. Could just be the power of suggestion working here, but I definitely get those grapefruit, citrus and piney notes in Rustica and its a winner for me.

Reactions: danimalia
Status
Not open for further replies.