PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Summary: Worth cellaring for Virginia lovers. Pure tobacco flavor.

Tin note: Sweet Virginia, a hint of grassiness, notes of fermentation and lightly toasted malted grains.

Appearance: Classic Mac Baren stick of gum sized flakes. Dark brown brindle in color.

Moisture level out of the tin allows smoking immediately but a few minutes of drying wouldn’t hurt.

Preparation was fold and stuff in various briars, sometimes a single flake, sometimes two. Burn was acceptable and not as fussy as some flakes.

Flavor is about 75% dark Virginias and 25% reds. Notes from a small percentage of some brighter leaf are also present. Light sweetness on top of bread crust and toast throughout the bowl getting less sweet towards the end. If pushed a spicy note appears.

Light mouthfeel and a pleasant aftertaste. Nicotine is about medium.

Not complex but refined and smooth. Worth cellaring as it’s easy to obtain and seems to age well.

HH Pure Virginia would be a good introduction to straight Virginias or flakes.

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
Excellent review, I agree with just about every word. I have about 6 pounds of it stashed away, mostly from 2015 as I strongly suspected it would age well from the first time I tried It.

One thing I would add for anyone putting these tins away- pop the tins and jar them, the square tins do not hold up. I transferred all of mine last year and even after only 4 years the seals were intact but I could tell not for long. Better yet avoid the tins and buy the 1lb slabs, cheaper that way.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Some Mac B VAs and other blends can bite if you don’t dry them properly or if you smoke them too fast. They are all really meant to be smoked as a Danish IMO. Though their flakes are more forgiving than the ribbon cuts or even broken flakes.

Reactions: mountainman

UncleRasta

Lifer
Sep 26, 2019
Monterey, CA
Some Mac B VAs and other blends can bite if you don’t dry them properly or if you smoke them too fast. They are all really meant to be smoked as a Danish IMO. Though their flakes are more forgiving than the ribbon cuts or even broken flakes.
About every three months, I discover that I can slow my cadence down a little more, and discover another level of enjoyment.

Status
Not open for further replies.