Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired - Tobacco Age?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

2 Fresh Former Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
6 Fresh Castello Pipes
23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
geopiper made a post regarding, ‘where is aged tobacco coming from’, and since it was general in nature, not specific to any brand/blend, when I saw wolflarsen’s reply with a video on YouTube over Mac Baren’s HH Old Dark Fired, this immediately caught my attention to make this post, if anyone knows the age of the tobacco being used for this blend?

I didn’t find any information online, which I thought odd, if Mac Baren is using tobacco from the 70’s and 80’s for this blend, that certainly seems like extreme News worthy information to list.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
This conversation is not worth having. HH ODF is terrible. Everyone ignore this thread, don’t buy it, let it slowly drift into irrelevance...
I've got 15 pounds of that one left in my closet, and much of it is from its 2012 release year when you could still get the 100g tins for less than $13. No competition from me, I've all I need.

• Wow
Reactions: pantsBoots

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
Now you know why it's called "Old" Dark Fired.

A living legend and a daily smoke for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Casual

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
This is also true. I have more Rustica than that, but my smoking rate compared to yours is obviously light years different. I’ve got enough Rustica for 13 lifetimes whereas you have enough for an afternoon...
My McClelland stash more than makes up for it.

Reactions: BarrelProof

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
geopiper made a post regarding, ‘where is aged tobacco coming from’, and since it was general in nature, not specific to any brand/blend, when I saw wolflarsen’s reply with a video on YouTube over Mac Baren’s HH Old Dark Fired, this immediately caught my attention to make this post, if anyone knows the age of the tobacco being used for this blend?

I didn’t find any information online, which I thought odd, if Mac Baren is using tobacco from the 70’s and 80’s for this blend, that certainly seems like extreme News worthy information to list.

The video is from 2012 so they can't still have leaf from the 70s and 80s, can they?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
In 2012 when Old Dark Fired came to the market, I bought a 3.5 oz tin to check out. I opened it up, smoked a bowl and was not impressed. I put it away to let it rest for a while and about 6 or so months later I revisited it and was shocked it tasted so good. I was not expecting that so I smoked another few bowls and then began cellaring it deep. I bought about 35 tins for 9.95 and then soon after another 30 for 10.95. I stopped at the 65 tins in total as they were all 3.5 oz tins which gave me a nice stash at some very nice prices. All of my ODF is from 2012 and I really enjoy it. I have been smoking almost all of it in a Rad Davis Zulu and am really glad I let it rest a while and then tried it again. I think it is one of the finest Virginia/Kentucky blends on the market. I am comfortable with the amount of tins I cellared as those 3.5 ounce tins take a while to smoke down.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Your question doesn't make sense at all...there's no tobacco in ODF, it's tar from back when they had pine tar pits in the early 1700's for sealing ships. Whatever tar splashed over the side of the pit and hardened, they set aside and made ODF out of it.

Reactions: Civil War
Status
Not open for further replies.