PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Been smoking Mac Baren - HH Latakia Flake of late. Right now I am rotating between three blends, Old Gowrie, Pike Place, and HH Latakia Flake. I got my share laid up for the long haul. Anyone else really liking HH LF ??? The manufacturer description is spot on:
"This is a hot pressed flake tobacco, meaning that during the pressing steam is added to mature the tobacco further and to ensure a mellow smoking experience. A blend of bright Virginias, spicy Orient, a bit of burley, and a fair amount of Cyprus Latakia is the foundation of HH Latakia Flake.
The taste is complex with the smoky note from Latakia in the front seat, the subtle sweetness from the Virginias working in the back, and the mellow spiciness from the Orientals popping up from time to time, creating an intimate interplay where all tobaccos play their role and contribute to this unique smoking experience.
HH Latakia Flake has very little casing and no top flavour at all. The only taste you will experience is the natural taste from the tobaccos used.
A mellow, yet satisfying tobacco, with a lot of nice, smoky aroma."
It is highly reviewed/rated. It is not a heavy Latakia blend and of medium strength. It is the easiest flake I have ever laid my hands on as to preparation. It is indeed mellow as described. The description does not mention the Burley as being a player, only an ingredient, but it is there albeit in the background. I find it to be sublime. So many great blends out there. Like many, I tend to migrate from blend to blend in cycles, but this one has been sticking around.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I love the entire HH line of tobaccos. I was fortunate to load up on every blend during various promotional sales, before the big price hikes.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
HH Latakia Flake is a great smoke, however I really not into flake, but this is one that I do order on occasion

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I smoked a lot of it when it first came out, but haven't smoked any lately. It's good! On the sweeter side, but good.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I finished up a 3.5 oz tin not long ago and also found it to be a great smoke. It had a lot of fanfare when it debuted, but it seems to fly under the radar nowadays and is seldom discussed. I love it. Glad I've got a bunch of tins socked away!

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
4noggins.com also has 10% off the HH Macbaren line, at 16$ roughly per 100 grams it's actually reasonable priced again.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
One of my mainstays! That and Acadian Perique. Two tobaccos I don't need to think about, and are just nice easy smokes.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Bem88: HH Latakia Flake is a little sweeter, creamier and has a more complex interplay and nuance of flavor.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
I really enjoy HH Latakia Flake. It took me a while to get the subtlety of the blend but now it is a mainstay. I have a few tins put away (even at the higher price!). It will be interesting to see what happens to it over time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife mysteriously knew to gift me with two tins of MacB's Latakia Flake a Christmas ago. This is an elegant, subtle blend. It's not going to buzz you up with nicotine, but the flavor is complex and rich. It's a pleasing blend on its own, and it bolsters many other blends. I'm getting through the first tin and hope to age the other a bit.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
+1 Jiminks & mso489.
One of my favorite Latakia flakes, rivaling Dan's Old Ironsides, though I also enjoy SG's Balkan Flake as well.
Another one to try is Brebbia's Latakia Flake (Mixture No. 9) (though the Brebbia's Balkan (Mixture No. 10) is better overall).
Another under-appreciated blend is SG's Commonwealth Mixture (a full-strength blend of 50% heavily steamed Virginia and 50% Cyprus Latakia).

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Cossackjack: The Brebbias are very good, and seldom noticed. Haven't tried Old Ironsides or Commonwealth, though I've always meant to.

Status
Not open for further replies.