Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no problem ponying up for some great tobacco, the budget’s not nearly as tight these days. Just wondering for comparison purposes. I see 403 suggested quiet a bit for DFK blends, but (at least I) haven’t seen MB Dark Twist suggested nearly as much. A tin is coming with my next order, excited to try it out.
I really enjoy the SRS, but only of it has a few years on it. It has a honey casing that melds better with the tobacco with time in the jar, IMO... maybe four years or more before I pop them. But, the Dark Twist seems much better processed and smokes well, IMO, with just a little drying. It seems to me to be a more carefully crafted roll. I think it's worth paying the small pittance for the quality. I also don't see these as exact blends. It's like comparing Capstan to OGS, sure, they both are playing the same game, but they're making different music. puffy

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Any thoughts on home stoving Dark Twist? I have some that’s approaching 3 years old. It’s been opened and sampled bit, but sat for a least a year untouched in between.
Asking because the home stoving that Gamzulatovah recommended was so awesome on the LTF.

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
Any thoughts on home stoving Dark Twist? I have some that’s approaching 3 years old. It’s been opened and sampled bit, but sat for a least a year untouched in between.
Asking because the home stoving that Gamzulatovah recommended was so awesome on the LTF.
I've never done this; but I'd be wary of putting tins of this rollcake in the oven because it's so very dry on opening as well as sweet.

I'd worry you'd end up with some crunchy rolls. Maybe dampening it prior? I'd be curious too though as it can be a bit bright and sharp when very fresh.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL

What do you hope to accomplish by home stoving? Dark Twist is pretty sweet already.

Reactions: ofafeather

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019

I say go for it. You're not smoking it in it's current form anyway so you have nothing lose. It will make an interesting experiment.

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
I've never done this; but I'd be wary of putting tins of this rollcake in the oven because it's so very dry on opening as well as sweet.

I'd worry you'd end up with some crunchy rolls. Maybe dampening it prior? I'd be curious too though as it can be a bit bright and sharp when very fresh.
I've always found DT to be a lot more moist than you would think. You don't really notice it until rubbed out, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.