Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Does anybody have experience with the highlighted Turkish meerschaum pipe carver pipes? Mehmet A Birinci,I don't see them being for sale almost anywhere or should I assume they are rather made by custom order?

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
@JonasClarck, there was an Ytube presenter Mr.Bremen Pipesmoker' and he had his meerschaum pipes the majority of them were commissioned with this carver, straight billards with traditional push in tenon stems seem to be hard to fine,especially here in EU.

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
Never have tried Birinci, but I have wanted to. What seems to hold me back is that Bremen Pipe Smoker uses a stem-maker to immediately replace the stems. He said there's not a problem with the normal stems but I don't know . . . the stem is the pipe, right? That's not a sterling endorsement.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
@Brooklyn Piper, Yes Sir, completely agree,in my opinion,some70 to 80% of current Turkish meers have something to be desired when it comes to stem finishing, and Yes, I know that repair dude in Germany The BremenPipe smoker(Mark)does commission his stems,Janzen-Pfeifen.de In Hamburg,pretty knowledgeable craftsman if he wants to,

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
I was looking at those as well. I have yet to pull the trigger. I did end up ordering two from black meerschaum. Straight bulldog with fantastic bowl but the button was left pretty raw. I’ll be sanding it into a final shape. The second is a spectacular anse with absolutely no issues. Only downside in the anse is heavier than I thought it would be.

brooklynpiper

May 8, 2018
in my opinion,some70 to 80% of current Turkish meers have something to be desired when it comes to stem finishing,
This is interesting to me - per your experience, who stands out as good stem-making meerschaum carvers?

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
@BrooklynPiper, I think it was Tekine, at least he did stems with normal push in tenons,but then again buttons of those stems did leave something to be desired(clumsy feeling) wait a minute and I will take a picture of mine with a brand new custom order acrylic stem on it

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I hear only good things about Baki's stems/tenons. Yanik uses the more common push-pull/screw, but the draw on the two I have (both long and bent) are wide open.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
My smooth Tekin seems to be finished very well. Straight as an arrow and never gets wet. Very solid and well finished.

Paul, there are many good meer makers. For classics and experimental shapes like reverse calabash I would suggest Huseyin Cor. Sadik Yanik is PERFECT for artistic carvings. Tekin is good for all kinds of meers. Then we have Hilmi Cay of Pipoogle which can give you a good deal. We have MeerschaumMarket on ebay, their $100 meers are top class.
Cheers,

Chris :puffpipe:

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I love those meerschaum pipes that Bremen Pipe Smoker uses; he's got great taste. I'm particularly fond of this Dublin
merschaum-pipe-600x337.jpg

He says it's a "John Aylesbury Meerschaum pipe, done by Altinay"

Status
Not open for further replies.