120 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
Nice pipe. There are a couple B&M shops in Springfield that offer basket pipes. I bought a Canadian at one that was a really nice pipe, but I broke the tenon and sadly never got it fixed. I miss that pipe

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Despite the gash, that's a nicely shaped pipe with good grain. The gash looks like some kind of accident.

I think the basket pipe category doesn't really identify much about a pipe. Shop proprietors can put anything in there, from good brand-name pipes to real junk, just depending on what they want to move, and what they want to charge.

I had a pretty good eye for pipes by the time I bought anything from the basket at my local shop, and I ended up with and unstamped unfinished Savinelli billiard with a tapered stem, and another time, a Savinelli 404 yacht, also unfinished. These have both colored beautifully, with just smoking, time, and polishing with a cloth after each smoke, no polish, wax, nose grease or anything. They actually look stained and polished to a high finish with no added products to leave residue.

Reactions: Toast

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
There's a place in this world for the shilling briar and it's a place dear to my heart. That's a lovely pipe. Would totally purchase that and treat it with care.

It's when they dress em up in cheap clothes and put gold stars on them that I go cold.

• Haha
Reactions: Briar Lee

grayjoe

Lurker
Sep 23, 2016
Columbia, MO
I’ve got a Luxor. I’m pretty sure I got it a Jon’s Pipe Shop in Columbia, MO. It was my first briar. I still use it for aromatics and such but don’t smoke it much. For me it was just ok.

Joe

JSPiper71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
I picked up a bunch of used pipes from Marketplace. There are two Luxor’s in the stash. Here’s one I’ve cleaned up. Stem was very oxidized but has come out really nicely. Pipe looks like it’s been smoked only once or twice if at all.

IMG_5426.jpegIMG_5428.jpeg
IMG_5427.jpegIMG_5429.jpeg

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I picked up a bunch of used pipes from Marketplace. There are two Luxor’s in the stash. Here’s one I’ve cleaned up. Stem was very oxidized but has come out really nicely. Pipe looks like it’s been smoked only once or twice if at all.

View attachment 263253View attachment 263254
View attachment 263255View attachment 263256

On a cheap pipe I sort of like seeing oxidation on the stem because vulcanite oxidizes and nylon doesn’t.

That was as much as practical a machine made pipe, but one made of real Mediterranean briar and real vulcanite.

Until 1954 the French factories had access to the best smoking briar ever commercially available from French Algeria. They paid no tariffs or duties on it. That Luxor might smoke as well as an old Dunhill Shell or Marxman.

I’m curious as to that sliver ring on the stem.

It added to the cost. It had to be fitted by hand. Some caused rejections. There was a reason for it, maybe only decorative, or to hold a filter or stinger.

I wonder if Luxor was a second tier brand or there might be high dollar ones still out there in drawers?

Reactions: didimauw

JSPiper71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
Luxor were seconds from Chapuis-Comoy and later Vauen. The stem does have a stinger. I am wondering about the logo and ring as well. The pipe is really well made. Drilled perfectly, very light, stem fits very snug, and it's got handsome grain. There are a couple small imperfections (or dings that have happened over time) that may have made it a second, but I'm only guessing. The logo is not one that I would associate with either of these brands, so I will do some more digging.