PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I love them, but would love to hear of a comparable option that's more affordable.
There are plenty of great cherries out there. This may sound crappy, but only you know which are best.

Here are a few options

Peninsula Premium
Traverse City Premium
Woodford Reserve
Filthy Black Amarena Cherries
Dashfire Egbert’s Cocktail Cherries

I love Old Fashionds. The one I’m drinking tonight has habanero bitters and Peninsula Cherries.

I can’t show a picture because my glass has a political statement.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I used to work in a cherry-packing plant near Traverse City during the summer while I was in college. I no longer eat maraschino cherries -- of any variety. The best cherries are used for pie fillings, the worst are used for juice, the in-between cherries are made into maraschinos. They are well-formed with a pit but are usually still green or maybe just starting to tint red, they get pitted and off to a vat of red dye (#2?) and other nasty chemicals there, they are transformed into maraschino. Wasn't a very pleasant smell either.

Reactions: beefeater33

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife loves fresh cherries. She can eat a pound of them at a go. I've never been much on cherries, except maybe in the occasional pie. In cocktails, never been my thing. If I am ever offered a Manhattan, and cherries are part of it, I'll give 'em a try. I like the jar.

At one time, the food dye used in processed cherries was condemned as a carcinogen, but I think that dye has been long since banned and/or discarded, so cherry on. I think that was in the cheap grocery store brands anyway. People were especially concerned about the non-alcoholic kids' cocktails with cherries, that were popular in the fifties ... if you can imagine that. Sort of a bubble pipe in the cocktail realm.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon