PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Just restored this sweet pipe I picked up in Chicago. Can't find any info on it though. It is marked Spain. Luna with a crescent moon on the shank.
2yfainO.jpg

Au1z2J7.jpg

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
well now I am going to have to try and find one too, Luna is the name of my eldest daughter! I have never seen that circle effect before.
Isaac

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Yeah I've never heard of Luna nor been able to find anything about the maker. When I first saw it I asked the same question. How did they do it. Maybe a tiny hole saw and then picking out the edges. The circles are very crisp. It was lightly smoked. No chatter. It was love at first sight. ill fire it up later today.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Pipe smoked great. Smoked a bowl of John Aylesbury Luxury Flake. Smoked down to nothing. Nice draw. Nice thin bit and a good clencher. The texture feels nice in the hand. Definitely a win.

tozert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2017
Cornwall
That's a really cool looking "rustication". My guess is that it was created using a special made tool, like a brad point bit with the centre spike ground away.

filmshooter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2017
Holy cow! I have that Pip's sibling, bought in a lot of estate pipes. I'll try to post up a pic later.

filmshooter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2017
One more try from Flickr
http://flic.kr/p/VvbmeT
Edit: I don't know what's up with pics but mine is also a Luna and has same pattern. Neat little pipe

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Here's yours filmshooter...
35117106293_c8008233ba_z_d.jpg

And one I got in a lot of estate pipes. Mine will take some work to repair. Not sure how to proceed yet. I just started photographing the lot today.
Looks like this one was dropped or whacked too hard on something.
35538378970_6b362fec34_z_d.jpg

35087027044_572883f7c8_z_d.jpg

filmshooter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2017
Mine wasn't too bad. Just needed a good cleaning of the stem and reaming. It is very lightweight.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Ken- A shame about the chipped part- but could be repaired I hope.
Did you download film's photo and reupload to embed it? In other words, what did you do to display it? Can't quite figure it out!

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
For the photo... I use an iPad and a neat browser called icabmobile. The browser lets you do all kinds of 'nasty' things that lots of sites don't like. In this case, displaying a Flickr pic, I can download it. But, I just copied the address for the medium size pic and pasted it into the post. The browser also lets me download youtube video at will and I am listening to some Mozart now. It plays in another tab or as a pic in pic. Love the browser.
And, yes, I plan to study that damage and see what I can do. Possibly a band around the top of the bowl, or some fiddly gluing, who knows. There is a little flake of the briar in the grooves on the bowl. I may attempt to glue in replacement briar, but that sounds like it will be ugly. We will see...
Also, I am experimenting with a chamois as the background for pics of pipes. I started documenting my pile of estate pipes and the chamois seems to be working well. I do need to make a little light box though. That pic was taken on my lap. Not the best light at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.