PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Here’s a group of Sasieni Canadians. The long ones are 7 1/2 inches. The Amber one is from and unreadable makers mark but it’s 1901

View attachment 85187
Apologies for nit-picking in advance ;)
Isn't the amber-stemmed an elongated or long-stemmed billiard (shank is of "normal" proportion to bowl height, just a longer stem).
I really do love the look of amber stems, BTW, even if they are somewhat impractical (brittle, thick and uncomfortable to clench, esp if it has an orifice bit)

Last edited:
Reactions: Charlie718

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Apologies for nit-picking in advance ;)
Isn't the amber-stemmed an elongated or long-stemmed billiard (shank is of "normal" proportion to bowl height, just a longer stem).
I really do love the look of amber stems, BTW, even if they are somewhat impractical (brittle, thick and uncomfortable to clench, esp if it has an orifice bit)
No worries. The amber stem is a long billiard. It’s just on the same rack. No nit picking. It’s not a Canadian.

As for comfort, I have so many Amber stem pipes I don’t even think about it anymore.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In the Canadian family, I think I like the Canadian shape the best. It seems the most realized and resolved of the shapes, the complete package. Usually, the chamber is ample and the balance is good, and often the weight isn't bad either. My favorite is my Iwan Ries house pipe sourced from the U.S. maker Benton, which I think is long out of business, made of oil-cured Algerian briar, with a few small inconspicuous durable fills.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Jerry144

Might Stick Around
May 2, 2021
with a few small inconspicuous durable fills.
I know many will disagree, but a few pits dont bother me... and I would almost rather them be left unfilled. But I agree about the Canadian shape - I have one, but will add I think