PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
I've been wanting to learn how to restore pipes so I thought I'd buy a lot of junky looking pipes on Ebay and use them to practice on. That way if I completely destroy them it won't be a valuable antique. I choose the lot I ended up purchasing for 2 reasons. 1)There were no old cobs included and 2) There was a Kirsten metal pipe which I've been wanting to try. There were 12 pipes listed and I ended up paying $60 for the lot.
When I got the box, a few of the pipes were in pretty bad shape, but most of them looked worthy of saving. The tenons were all very sticky, I even broke one off while trying to remove it and I cracked the shank on another, doh! Like I said these were for learning so it didn't make me too mad. I picked some of the nicer looking pipes and Kirsten and started restoring. I used a lot of tips I learned here. Thanks to everyone who has posted up a tip on this site!
So here is the lucky part of this story. After I got some of the pipes cleaned up I started doing some research on them and found that most of the pipes I have are pretty old. I'm guessing the original owner purchased them between 1930 and 1958. The 2 Kaywoodies both have 4 digit shape numbers which puts them pre-1938. The Sachs Honey Briar seems to be a house name for tobacconist Georges Sachs, who was in business 1920's to 1940's. The Kirsten, that lead me to buy the lot in the first place, seems to date between 1938 and 1958.
I thought they were nice pipes when I got them, but now that I know that they are least 50 years old I think they are even cooler. I know they aren't Dunhills or some other high dollars brand but I'm very happy to own them, I just wish they could talk and tell me their stories.
If anyone has anything to add about them I love to hear it. I enjoyed researching these pipes almost as much as I'm enjoying smoking them. :puffpipe:
The Kirsten pipe that started this. It has no O-rings which is what leads me to think it is an early model

Kirsten2_zps537ed622.jpg

Sachs Honey Briar.

Sachs_zps52d2bae0.jpg

Kaywoodie 7798 (The stem is still pretty bad on this one. I may try filling it at some point)

Kaywoodie1_zpsf62e1e76.jpg

Kaywoodie 7713B Author

Kaywoodie2_zpsda1937d7.jpg

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
Thanks Shaintiques! I really like the way the author looks myself. It smokes nicely too. The only problem with it is that the bowl is so well rounded that it tends to slip in your hand if you aren't careful with it.

vabriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 24, 2012
Great job on the pipes they look great. I've been doing the same thing and had a lot of fun.

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
Thanks for the nice comments everyone.
Flintlockjohn, I've got at least 3 or 4 more pipes from this same lot that will need some type of refinishing work. I'm planning on taking them down to bare wood and restaining or using the leather die I've read about.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I really like the bowl on the Sachs. Reminds of some of the Sebastian Beo pipes. That author looks great too.
Always feels nice to history a little piece of history.

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
The Sachs pipe is a great smoker and I'm really starting to love it. The funny thing is if I was buying it new I probably would never have bought it. It's a small bowl and I usually go for larger sizes. It makes for the perfect 30 minutes smoke though and for some reason once lit it doesn't want to go out no matter how much I ignore it while smoking.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Wow,

That's a great score for $60 bucks. The Kirsten alone is worth that IMO. And as for the Kaywoodie's, they are super especially the 13B Author shape. Nice job doing the restorations as well. :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.