PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

fallsguy

Lurker
Jan 29, 2012
The last thing I want in a pipe tobacco is nicotine. Perhaps some of you more experienced pipe smokers can point out some of the best and worst tobaccos for nicotine, as well as which low nicotines might have the best taste.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
For me, low nic would be 1Q and high nic would be Peterson Irish Flake. These are only the ones I've tried, I'm sure there are others.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
In general, Virginias have high sugar, and low (almost nonexistent) nicotine. Burley has low sugar and high nicotine.
As far as which have the best flavor... only you can answer that one.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I just realized the typo in the link that pawpaw put up.
Highest nicotine, lowest sugars by TOBACCO type -
- Burly

- Kentucky

- Green River Kentucky

- Perique
Nice spelling Kevin. :D

fishineric

Lurker
Feb 5, 2012
It seems to me the OTC tobacco's I've tried (Raleigh, Prince Albert, and Half and Half) have a good deal of nicotine. If you're a reformed cig smoker like me they're a good smoke. But if you don't crave vitamin-n you may want to steer clear.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Five Brothers is the highest I have had, it was too strong for me. As for the lightest, most aromatic tobaccos are lighter than straight Virginias or medium/full English blends.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
+1 on the Irish Flake

Kendal's Kentucky packs a wallop

Haddo's delight has a good kick too
On the low end, 1-Q

irishkevin

Lurker
Jan 12, 2014
Peterson perfect plug will catch you off guard, I was having a smoke in my service truck when I was on stand by for cold weather start ups, I was puffing along, decided I was going to take care of a few odds and ends in the back of my truck when it hit me...sprayed the mornings tea through my nose. Needless to say I had to sit in the cold for a while before I was again mobile! Not saying it's very high nic, but it must be up there.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nightcap has a definite nicotine buzz for me. Dunhill MM 965 has a slight dose. Most aromatics are quite light

on nicotine, to non-existent. I don't notice much if any nic in the OTC Granger. I don't detect any nic in

Cavendish straight or aromatic.

brudnic1

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2012
The highest nicotine tobacco I have tried is Tambolaka. It only takes five puffs...

moses

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
For the lower end of the nic spectrum, you can't really go wrong with a McClelland english or oriental blend. I'm not a nicotine heavyweight by any stretch, and most McC's don't seem to have too much. They are, however, pretty damn tasty. 3 Oaks Syrian, Legends, Wilderness, and Orient 996 might be a good starting point if you don't mind latakia. Orient 996 seems to have the lightest hand in the lat department out of those four.

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
When shopping tobaccos on-line, seldom do they indicate how the tobbaco is cured.
Any suggestions for Flue cured Virginias or Orientals? I understand that most tobaccos are Flue cured, just not sure which ones. I smoke aromatics and non-aromatics.

moses

Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
The Grand Orientals series is an excellent bunch of blends that are, IIRC, just Virginias and Orientals, the exception being Yenidje Highlander. That one has some latakia, but the other blends do not. My perrenial favorite out of that series is Drama Reserve.

In my experience, GH&C's Unscented Dark Flake and D&R's Rowland Platinum were the strongest. I practically had to lay down on the floor after first trying Rowland. But, I use them for when I just have a very hard time going to sleep.

And, I swear Lane's Burley Light Without a Bite has almost no nicotine. I take days off from my usual Va/VaPer rotation when I find myself craving nicotine and smoke only this (like today) just to balance myself out from smoking my pipe too often. I know, I know. But, I do have to get things done beside burning tobacco :wink:

swampmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
Stay away from dark fired and air cured. Orientals are naturally low. Don't take any smoke in too far and out through the nose. The steamed(black) flakes can be deceptive. For me the best flavor with low nic has always been the english orientals.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Even among the same type of tobacco, there are wild variations of strength. For example, most McClelland virginias are pretty low on the nic. However, those virginias from Africa that the British producers tend to you have quite a kick.
I have yet to have anything from McClelland that I could even detect the nicotine in. If you're looking for a low nic blend, then I would suggest just picking anything from their catalog.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
However, those virginias from Africa that the British producers tend to you have quite a kick
Something must explain the unholy nicotine content of Royal Yacht...

Status
Not open for further replies.