PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corto Waltese

Lurker
Oct 14, 2019
Dan's Devil's Holiday is my favorite.
I also like Tinderbox's Wafflehouse (Moreso when they could get McClellands VBC to blend, but they have dialed in a good replacement now so it is good again)

Low key I like Stokkebye's Nougat and Optimum, H&H Classic Burley Cake and Vermont Meat Candy, and MacBaren Highland (when it can be found).
I like the name "Vermont Meat Candy"...

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
When I think of low key aromatic, Newminster No. 400 Luxury Navy Flake comes to mind. The current incarnation of St. Bruno as well.

I don't understand the recommendations for Exotic Passion. To me, that's as high key an aromatic can get. Way over the top. It is to fruity aromatics what Ennerdale is to Lakeland florals. Lots and lots and lots of topping.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Granger is a codger blend for sure, rough cut Kentucky burley, and it is often sold as a non-aromatic, however it is famously flavored with molasses so is technically aromatic ... as if there is anything technical about Granger. If you like burley, you may well like Granger. It used to come in foil pouches as well as tubs, but for years now, it only comes in tubs. My local independent pipe shop sells it from time to time by the ounce out of its own tub. The tub (and the foil pouch in years past) is labeled with a pointer dog in his pointer position, one of my favorite pieces of tobacco art. Granger is a low-key aromatic in a most distinctive way.

tenton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 8, 2019
A couple of low key aromatics I've tried lately are Nat Sherman 314 and Country Squire Parsons Blend.

Corto Waltese

Lurker
Oct 14, 2019
Granger is a codger blend for sure, rough cut Kentucky burley, and it is often sold as a non-aromatic, however it is famously flavored with molasses so is technically aromatic ... as if there is anything technical about Granger. If you like burley, you may well like Granger. It used to come in foil pouches as well as tubs, but for years now, it only comes in tubs. My local independent pipe shop sells it from time to time by the ounce out of its own tub. The tub (and the foil pouch in years past) is labeled with a pointer dog in his pointer position, one of my favorite pieces of tobacco art. Granger is a low-key aromatic in a most distinctive way.
I’m a big Burley fan. Thanks.

Reactions: tech49

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
If you like burley, Mac Baren Nancy Flake is an obvious blend to recommend. It is topped with rum and a certain Mac Baren sweetness, that comes from a honey or molasses cavendish. The topping slowly fades as you smoke and you end up with a very burley forward last third of the bowl.
The sweet cavendish is also a main player in Mac Baren's Mixture Scottish Blend, where it interplays with about a million different tobaccos.
My favorite semi-aromatics (or whatever) are Royal Yacht (strong), St Bruno (nice), 1792 Flake (strong).

tech49

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2020
Hamburg Twp, MI
Lately I've really been hitting Sutliff's Field & Stream Match. They call it a semi-aromatic, but the sweetness and subtle anise flavor really work well for me almost any time of the day.

Another one is Hearth & Home Derby Club. Love it, especially during deerfly season.

Status
Not open for further replies.