PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

John C.

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 7, 2020
Rhode Island
It's advertised on Tobacco Reviews home page. Limited edition. Curious to know what kind of blend this will be.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
How does it feel to know that if you wrote a review that just said "wow that's good, better sell my cellar"? That you could create one of the biggest runs on a random blend ever!
Which is exactly what Jim doesn't ever do. Jim does his best to convey a verbal description of his experience smoking a particular blend, and then rates it based on his experiences with other blends of the same genre. "Like" doesn't enter into it as he doesn't rate for personal preference. We talk almost nightly and there are times when he's been weighing the rating because a particular blend falls somewhere between the points and spends days delaying and revisiting a blend before making that decision and posting that review.

If he were to rate for personal preference, a LOT of those star ratings would be different.

Jim just doesn't see personal preferences as being as useful as a carefully crafted description of the flavors he's picking up for the curious to read. Evidently that has turned out to be very beneficial to a lot of other smokers who would like some idea of a blend's flavor characteristics before purchasing.

It has also earned Jim the trust and respect of blenders from around the world, who send him samples of blends in development. When the blenders are asking you to test drive their product, that represents a very high degree of trust and respect.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Which is exactly what Jim doesn't ever do. Jim does his best to convey a verbal description of his experience smoking a particular blend, and then rates it based on his experiences with other blends of the same genre. "Like" doesn't enter into it as he doesn't rate for personal preference. We talk almost nightly and there are times when he's been weighing the rating because a particular blend falls somewhere between the points and spends days delaying and revisiting a blend before making that decision and posting that review.

If he were to rate for personal preference, a LOT of those star ratings would be different.

Jim just doesn't see personal preferences as being as useful as a carefully crafted description of the flavors he's picking up for the curious to read. Evidently that has turned out to be very beneficial to a lot of other smokers who would like some idea of a blend's flavor characteristics before purchasing.

It has also earned Jim the trust and respect of blenders from around the world, who send him samples of blends in development. When the blenders are asking you to test drive their product, that represents a very high degree of trust and respect.
There are so many times I think about stuff I could do that would cause chaos. I don't do those things, don't even want to... But part of me enjoys seeing what could be done. And to me it's funny that if he just threw his integrity out the window it could cause a silly little chain reaction.
One of my personal rules is don't give terrible advice to people who might follow it. And it wouldn't be funny to me if that was something he'd actually do. Then it would just be sad.

Reactions: FurCoat

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
On the name of the blend, it's fun to say, to pronounce, but people will never say it the same or get it "right." When pipe smoking was a more sociable habit, people could have settled on a pronunciation, "correct" or not, but today, when people don't socialize nearly as much around smoking, it will be said three or four different ways, with different syllables accented. Since special editions are usually only around for a year or two, or less, it may not matter. Just a thought.

Reactions: MattRVA