PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

obc83

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2023
Are you using a drip coffee maker? If you have not done so already you may want to look into a pour over, like a Hario. This method removes much of the acidity. My wife who has issues with acid reflux uses this and it helps greatly with the acidity. As far as beans go, I tend to buy whole bean from local roasters.
This is what I was going to say. I not only get bad acid but also bouts of gastritis, don't recommend it. I have to quit coffee frequently and this is the method that keeps me in the game. That and a lot of oat milk... shutup.

alexishector

Lurker
Dec 23, 2023
I can totally identify....... I was diagnosed with GERD in the mid 90s and was prescribed every single little pill available. It didn't help.
To make a long story short, I refused to have any laparoscopic fundalpicacion or any other invasive procedure and they just shook their heads and told me I would just have to live with it.

After many years of having to sleep sitting up and not being able to eat garlic, tomatoes, oranges, all the good stuff, what did finally help was reading the book "Grain Brain" by David Perlmutter M.D. Grains can affect some people in horrible ways and I'm one of those people. Many docs try to solve the problem by prescribing the latest and greatest meds which not only do they not work but they bring on other problems.

I stopped eating any type of grain and eventually the problem went away. I do sometimes cheat (because who can resist pizza once in a while!) so I take an Omeprazole and it helps with coffee bar.
It may not work for everyone but not eating grains has been beneficial to my mental acuity, my physical endurance, my look (now I have a flat belly) and of course what goes on in my stomach and esophagus is no longer a pain in the arsenal.
And to top things off, I enjoy Trader Joe's Dark Roast coffee that seems to have low acidity and a ridiculously low price to boot with no ill effects other than the caffeine making me talk too much in the morning. I guess I just proved that.........
I want to get my mother a good variety pack of whole bean coffee as a gift since she has one of those ~$1500 machines and just runs Seattle's Best through it. We've got some good local roasters but that's not as ~fun~ since she could technically go out and get their stuff any time...even though she doesn't.

Do the coffee nerds here have good recommendations for online ordering of single origins? I'm worried about going with one if the Google first ones and getting old beans. She likes medium/dark roasts.

Boychek

Lurker
Sep 23, 2020
RhoadsRoast Coffees and The Green Dragon Coffee House - https://rhoadsroast-coffees.com/

A low acidic coffee we like; though, two varietals:

Another low acidic:

Search amongst fincas from Brazil and El Salvador with low acidic coffee.

Best of luck wherever you look.

• Love
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
RhoadsRoast Coffees and The Green Dragon Coffee House - https://rhoadsroast-coffees.com/

A low acidic coffee we like; though, two varietals:

Another low acidic:

Search amongst fincas from Brazil and El Salvador with low acidic coffee.

Best of luck wherever you look.
Yeah, Sumatra Mandheling coffee beans are advertised as low acid. Do like it dark roasted.

• Love
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
This is a very successful thread -- really great tips here.

I hope OP will report back when he finds something that works for him!