PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Royal Yuck, Condor, 3Ps, Blackpool; all good in my book. What are some of your favorites in this vein that I need to check out?

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
The above are all excellent suggestions, I would add Conniston Cut Plug. Not UK, but Maltan is a great smoke.

All mentioned get my thumbs up. I also was given a huge specialty tin of a GH&co anniversary blend aromatic by Skip. It is a Vanilla fruit combo that is outstanding. The flavors you can taste, very easy on the tongue, and the nicotine kick is outstanding. It is like the best parts of a goopy aromatic, but the tobacco is very dry, very dry, mixed with the best nicotine delivery I've had. Usually, I just smoke an aro with my morning coffee and newspaper, but this blend gets on the movie night rotation easily.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
G&H Bob's chocolate flake, Kendal flake

Erinmore

McClellend's 5115 Old world Classic Cake

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
If you like Condor, you must try the flake version. It's in my top 3! beats the socks off of ready rubbed, every single day!
Plug Condor isn't available in the UK, incase you're a resident.

coda

Lurker
Jan 25, 2015
Condor Long Cut is my everyday smoke...or rather, would be...if I could secure a regular supply of it. I am patiently awaiting the release of St. Bruno Flake here in the US...

May 31, 2012
Royal Yacht

3Ps

Velvan Plug

Condor Plug

Warrior Plug

St. Bruno
My faves are exactly the same as Pitchfork.

:puffy:
If you have the scratch and want to explore,

these may also be worthy:
http://www.gqtobaccos.com/pipe-tobaccos/jf-germains-rich-dark-flake/#.VqLyfVKRYpo
http://www.gqtobaccos.com/gawith-hoggarth-classic-lakeland-pipe-tobaccos/​
You might also like Mick McQuaid, Maltan, or Yachtsman.
http://www.pipedivan.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_8
latest
scFlag.gif
pixel_flag___ireland_by_sweetlycanada-d9knrck.png

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
I also was given a huge specialty tin of a GH&co anniversary blend aromatic

@Cosmic: Is this available from any online retailers? Sounds right up my alley.

May 31, 2012
Question for the group: Does anyone know when they first started making Condor?
I'm not really sure when it was first actually made,

but the name was registered in the UK in 1895...
https://www.ipo.gov.uk/tmcase/Results/1/UK00000186529

May 31, 2012
PS
The UK Intellectual Property Office states that it was first "published" in journal #893 from May 1895,

I'd love to have a copy of that book!
Very often they include artwork.
I have exactly one copy of the Trade Marks Journal, covering the first 6 months of 1910,

my copy doesn't have much baccy stuff innit though :(
Although it did have an entry for an old forgotten Imperial brand:
1OYNVqK.jpg

cCvZkr4.jpg

The whole book is great to look through, but very few pipes and only a few baccy bits of interest, I'd love to get a copy from the 20's or 30's to investigate sandblast names and etcetera, but it'll be a patience game as they don't pop up often and in many cases they're very highly priced --- it's chock-full of great old advertising illustrations though, one of my faves being a full 2 pages of old Whitbread beer labels, I only thought they made Pale Ale but they used to make the whole spectrum, I used to drink alot of Whitbread but sadly they went out of business...
...but I'm always on the lookout for copies of the TMJ,

a seller from France has some good ones up on the 'bay, but the asking prices are a bit over my reach and above what I'm willing to pay...
http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&LH_PrefLoc=2&_ssn=abraxas-libris&hash=item35c3833341%3Am%3AmTt1w2x0lrgMhgy2EJvW3RQ&item=230913422145&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC0.A0.H0.Xtrade+marks+journal.TRS1&_nkw=trade+marks+journal&_sacat=0

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Thanks, mlc! I had no idea it was that old. It tastes like an old blend, but for some reason I thought it was introduced sometime around 1950 or 1960. It makes me like it all the more knowing that it's an oldie.
BTW, I just got my hands on my first Condor Plug. I let a man cut in front of me in the line at the shop and he bought Condor Plug. I couldn't believe it. And I really like it -- so much better than the Ready Rubbed, which is decent.

May 31, 2012
BTW, I just got my hands on my first Condor Plug. I let a man cut in front of me in the line at the shop and he bought Condor Plug. I couldn't believe it. And I really like it -- so much better than the Ready Rubbed, which is decent.
No doubt.
The Condor Plug is my favorite form of it,

dark deep rich goodness,

and oh so smooth.
I hope it stays around for a good while and isn't somehow disrupted by the Gallaher's factory closure later this year, I'm still convinced that it's made in Ireland, but others say it's made in Denmark -- I've seen no definitive proof so I'm going with my gut...
...which says Ireland!
Mainly due to the packaging which is the same that Murray's used to use for the plugs, and is much different from the Danish pouches.
I'd really like to know though,

if indeed it is made in Ireland.

leprechaun.gif

Dublinesque, I've not ever seen that limited edition 2014 tobacco online. Skip gifted me the tin from his stock of just a couple that had been on his shelf. It may have just been a b&m promotion, as the tin was very decorative with no seal on it. The tobacco was vacuum sealed in a pouch inside the tin. I probably shouldn't have suggested something that no one would be able to find, but it does make me curious about their other aromatics.

thefalcon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2012
I'm still convinced that it's made in Ireland, but others say it's made in Denmark -- I've seen no definitive proof so I'm going with my gut...
...which says Ireland!
Mainly due to the packaging which is the same that Murray's used to use for the plugs, and is much different from the Danish pouches.
I'd really like to know though,

if indeed it is made in Ireland
I agree with you on this Brother, and also I believe since it is the only form that still carries the Gallaher name also is a good indication that it is still being made in Ireland!

Status
Not open for further replies.