PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneGoodBulldog

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2020
Picked up this little gem after watching a YouTube video of a couple old dudes talking about tobacco. One of the guys was using a regular Zippo and the other had one with a pipe insert. Both seemed to be lighting their pipes pretty nonchalantly but I really liked the way the pipe insert seemed to work. So the last time I was in a shop I spied this gem and had to try it.

Pros: No more disposable lighters to throw away. Windproof, and looks miles cooler. No more rim char!

Cons: Zippo taste... Not as bad if you let the flame burn for a moment though.

All in all I'm satisfied. Plus that super cool Zippo click let's everyone around me know how serious I am about being cool.

20210518_063337.jpg

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I also love my Zippos. When I first started using Zippos I used to get caught out with no fuel so I keep one of these handy refill cannisters in my pipe bag but I've got into the habit of topping up the lighter twice a week these days so rarely need to use it now.

Can't say the fuel taste has ever bothered me; I just take a couple of seconds between lighting the zippo and lighting my pipe.

IMG_1689.jpeg
One on the right is my edc; it's a brass armour model; one on the left is 'antique brass'. I think(!) I've got another three stashed with various friends and relatives around the world so I don't get caught out trying to board a plane with one operated by an airline which won't accept them.

All have pipe inserts.

I've got a custom one (regular insert) on the way made for a watch forum I'm a member of:

4ebcdbaf6921b2b941cfeea2ccd31f14.jpg
91e64abe859c6dd908245e37d1c9599a.jpg

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I love my zippos, I have 7 now, but only one I use daily now. I have one for the year I graduated highschool, one with a wolf ( my fav animal) one the year my daughter was born, one of camel cigarettes (my brand), one with my baseball team on it, and my newest is from the year 2020, well because I hope my grandkids will think it's cool to have a lighter from the great pandemic. Hahaha that's my daily one, just plain brushed nickel.

I started collecting them more recently, but only ones that mean something to me personally.

Jerry144

Might Stick Around
May 2, 2021
+1 for Zippos. But I am sure glad to see this post cause I thought I was the only one...

I will try the trick of letting the flame burn a bit before lighting the pipe

Reactions: STP and anotherbob
Ditto for Zippo.
I've returned to pipes after a 30 year gap. In those halcyon, far off, days, I could smoke in the pub and at home, so 5cm Redhead matches were fine. Now, in Australia, you can't smoke within several kilometres of another human being (hyperbole, Americans, before you look for your angry emoticon ? ) and certainly not indoors (wife ban, as well as HM Aus Govt ban). A match is a bit hit and miss in outdoor wind. And Bics are naff.
Enter the Zippo Pipe Lighter!
Since so much of pipe smoking, for me anyway, is ceremony - packing a pipe, cleaning it afterwards - the ceremony of a beautifully crafted and machined lighter is part of the allure, the mystique. I had refilled Zippo fluid a couple of times, fun and ceremony enough, but today I trimmed the wick and changed the flint for the first time. Immediate lighting efficacy, and immediate ceremonial gratification. God is good.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Ditto for Zippo.
I've returned to pipes after a 30 year gap. In those halcyon, far off, days, I could smoke in the pub and at home, so 5cm Redhead matches were fine. Now, in Australia, you can't smoke within several kilometres of another human being (hyperbole, Americans, before you look for your angry emoticon ? ) and certainly not indoors (wife ban, as well as HM Aus Govt ban). A match is a bit hit and miss in outdoor wind. And Bics are naff.
Enter the Zippo Pipe Lighter!
Since so much of pipe smoking, for me anyway, is ceremony - packing a pipe, cleaning it afterwards - the ceremony of a beautifully crafted and machined lighter is part of the allure, the mystique. I had refilled Zippo fluid a couple of times, fun and ceremony enough, but today I trimmed the wick and changed the flint for the first time. Immediate lighting efficacy, and immediate ceremonial gratification. God is good.
When I lived in Sydney I only had two people complain about me smoking in public (and one of them was American!). Most people weren't bothered or started reminiscing about grandpa!

Still, most of my smoking was accompanied by my smoking buddy. I miss this guy just coming and keeping me company...
IMG_0431.jpeg

and in other news; the Zippo I mention a couple of posts earlier arrived this week:
IMG_1837.jpegIMG_1838.jpeg
(Perhaps I should explain. The logo relates to the "Brotherhood of the Submariner Homage" i.e. BSH. Basically a bunch of people were members of a watch forum who came together through common interests (not just watches) and a sense of camaraderie. (Plus there are a few pipe smokers in the group too...)

Skatutakee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2021
Massachusetts / New Hampshire
Another Zippo convert here. I held out for a long time because I bought the myth about the fuel aftertaste, which turns out to be a non-issue for me. The pipe insert works great, and I like being able to top off the fuel without bleeding the tank, like with butane. (Still prefer a butane torch for cigars, though.)

Status
Not open for further replies.