PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tut

Lurker
Feb 26, 2020
Minnesota
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

Howdy. I'm not a smoker (well, I used to smoke cigarettes), but I got all my Dad's pipes and paraphernalia when he died last year. Mom made him stop smoking in the house maybe 15 years ago, and he gradually got tired of having to only have a smoke in the garage. I was very surprised and happy to find a pouch of his standard tobacco, Sail Aromatic, that still had a little left, and the aroma was not completely gone. It's the older, lighter green pouch before they modernized the packaging.

Anyhoo, I thought I'd join here to try to find some info about some of his pipes. There are a couple wine pipes that I'll probably try to sell to someone who appreciates them. But the rest are pretty well used and only good for keeping my memories alive.

Last edited by a moderator:

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Welcome. Posting a thread with pics of the pipes you are curious about would be a good place to start.

Read the forum rules on sales before you post anything regarding that though.

Nothing wrong with an info seeking thread about your pipes though. Sorry to hear about your dad :(

Welcome again!

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020
Welcome to the forum. don't be too surprised when one or more of the members here kindly suggests that you take up your father's pipes and smoke it. My own dad quit smoking in 1953, when tobacco got so darn expensive.

A true thrifty Scotsman.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Those well used pipes may still have life in them. Many on this forum are skilled at pipe restoration. Often the very used pipes are that way because they were particularly nice to smoke. Sometimes a well used pipe is something truly special or rare. If you have the chance please post photos!

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My condolences on your father's passing, but congratulations on having some of his pipes. I would love to have one of my grandpas pipes, but sadly only have a picture.

, I thought I'd join here to try to find some info about some of his pipes. There are a couple wine pipes that I'll probably try to sell to someone who appreciates them. But the rest are pretty well used

I'm sure your dad's pipes can be identified pretty easily. Just post up some pictures of what you have with any nomenclature (a fancy word for whatever is stamped on the pipe, maker wise) and you should get some answers. Another good resource to check is pipedia.org.

As for cleaning up some of them, you would be surprised - you don't need fancy equipment to do it. I've done several and there are plenty other members on here who have done the same that can help you put.

Welcome to the forum!

maulragoth

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2018
Sorry about your dad and to hear of his banishment to the garage. Welcome to the forums, and I am sure many here would be happy to help with info about your dad's pipes (great idea mentioned by alaskanpiper about posting your dad's pipes in a thread). Hopefully you come to enjoy some yourself along with some great experiences.

Reactions: chopper

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Welcome from Oz.

Most of us here would love to have a pipe that our father, grandfather or a favourite family members pipe.
Unless they're rare sought after pipes that sell for big dollars, I'd be hanging on to all of them.
Learn how to clean them up & put them on display in a cabinet with a pic of your dad.

Better still, light one up after your evening meal in remembrance of your father.
Puffing on a pipe is very relaxing and meditative.

[One bowl a day wont hurt you. What the rabid anti-smoking will not tell you is that tobacco is not the main cause of disease in smokers; it's the 300-600 chemicals that are added to cigarettes that causes most harm. Pipe tobacco is simply tobacco. Aromatics have food grade flavourings and sometimes a little harmless PG or glycerine as humectants]

Reactions: ray47
Status
Not open for further replies.