Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I smoke only one pipe with a stinger, a Kaywoodie Drinkless, and actually I find it a good smoke and quick to clean. Mine, like yours, has the screw-in stem as part of the stinger; the Drinkless is now made with a push bit. Does your stinger have bad smoking characteristics? Otherwise, I'd just leave it, assuming you'd learn to like it, if not love it. All of my other stingers have been removable, and I saved them, labeled, if the pipe gets passed along.

If you saw off the stinger, the pipe loses all its brand authenticity, but that's no big deal, unless it has some distinctive history otherwise.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I have not had any issues with leaving the stingers in the pipe, and I have plenty of them that have a stinger. Kaywoodie pipe unfortunately don't pull off and this can make it more difficult to clean properly. For those, I run the cleaner through the stinger end first and out the button.

Reactions: edger

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I smoke only one pipe with a stinger, a Kaywoodie Drinkless, and actually I find it a good smoke and quick to clean. Mine, like yours, has the screw-in stem as part of the stinger; the Drinkless is now made with a push bit. Does your stinger have bad smoking characteristics? Otherwise, I'd just leave it, assuming you'd learn to like it, if not love it. All of my other stingers have been removable, and I saved them, labeled, if the pipe gets passed along.

If you saw off the stinger, the pipe loses all its brand authenticity, but that's no big deal, unless it has some distinctive history otherwise.
Dint plan on selling it, i did consider that but I’ll smoke it till i kick them it’s someone else’s problem, i smoke between 5 and 10 bowls a day out of it and the stinger does tend to get gurgly and they are just a pain to clean, at least that many bowls a day. I run a pipe cleaner after every bowl, the the big picture it’s a minor thing, just irks me.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I don't own any so I'm not speaking with 1st hand authority.

I've seen lots of Kaywoodies with castrated stingers, so there must be owners other than you with similar dislike of those balls ?

Reactions: AJL67

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Most stingers either screw out or just come out with a gentle tug. It shouldn't be that difficult to remove if you choose.
Just afraid of bread for the stem and then the worry of finding the screw in part (I’ve seen chasing post the plastic ones) that would fit. In the end i don’t want to eff up my favorite pipe.

Reactions: kcghost

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Am I missing something? If you snip it off, how are you going to attach the stem?

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I don't care much for the stinger on my Kaywoodie. It's the only pipe I have that had gurgling issues. But before the gurgling starts--or after I unscrew the stem and wipe off the stinger--it's a fairly good smoker.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I don't care much for the stinger on my Kaywoodie. It's the only pipe I have that had gurgling issues. But before the gurgling starts--or after I unscrew the stem and wipe off the stinger--it's a fairly good smoker.
Same here, just bugs me when it starts to gurgle and this is a very large deep bowl.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think Drinkless is an odd choice of words too. I guess it means you don't get a sip of moisture from the airway, but it sounds strange. Now the nomenclature is further confounded because the Drinkless series now has push bits. You have to know the history.