PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

inquisitor3

Lurker
Jun 20, 2017
I'll venture an answer of "A". Not so much a special sauce, but maybe a combination of leaf source, processing and, well maybe special sauce. A few generalizations, some more accurate than others: The Lakeland companies tend to steam-press their leaf, and sourced from Brazil and Africa, that give them a mature sweetness but for better or worse removes some of the high notes (and tongue bite). Esoterica blends have a certain funky, musty flavor that permeates all of their blends that I have tried. McClelland (and house brands Ashton, Butera, PCCA and some some McConnells) had its zing (some called it ketchup), MacBarens had that weird honey essence that I never liked but many enjoyed. C&D, as noted, has a wide variety of blends, but none have the Lakelands or McClelland signatures - and all seemed to improve with 6 months of aging more than other houses. All of these were somewhat true in my pipe smoking heyday of 1994 - 2010.

Reactions: edger and FLDRD

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Per the continued requests - I'm currently referring to Peterson blends heavy on Latakia.

But I didn't want to say initially, because the actual brand wasn't important, just the phenomenon being explored.

I think part of that was/is seasonal, regarding the genre. It's just recently turned significantly, regarding the weather, and I feel the shift to Virginias tugging at me. I'll probably leave these particular 3 that have a hold of me behind temporarily while I go exploring more: blend, brand & genre.

If I come back to them heavily next season remains to be seen, but I've ordered a bit to have around for the future.

Now I'll be exploring and looking for more delicious offerings.

I'll likely be seasonally leaving behind:
My Mixture 965
Old Dublin
Nightcap

Probably...................................
Those late night desires for that heavy, smoky, goodness...

So I've gone and done it again.

I opened another Peterson tin for the first time, and I have to say I was impressed from the beginning. Only one bowl spread over last night with a brief remnant left to enjoy this morning with coffee.

Balkan Mixture.

I'd have to say it has that "something" that has lured and hooked my palate. I'm going to presume that further tasting will only solidify my presumption and I'll enjoy this tin immensely.

Not that others brands and blends aren't tasty and delicious, but that "something"...

Reactions: edger

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
I am partial to GL Pease English and oriental blends: Charing Cross, Samarra, Raven's Wing (unfortunately no longer made), Caravan...

Reactions: FLDRD

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I'm beginning to wonder if I should start an "80% 'er thread".

As in, although some stand far above the rest for personal yumminess, I may be noticing that overall, as long as I'm in the genre I like - I may appreciate about 80% of the blends I try.

Many have stated (most seem to be long time lovers of the leaf) that we are in a golden age of tobacco. Perhaps that's what they mean. Lots of good blends to choose from.

Certainly hope it lasts a long time.