PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yhbriar

Lurker
May 25, 2018
Peru - Lima
Hi pipe-smokers ... I'm pretty new in this forum, in fact I made my formal introduction only yesterday.
I live in Peru, and my only realistic way of buying a meerschaum pipe is doing it online, and sending it to USA, where a friend of mine can bring it to me when he travels from USA to Peru.
Any advice on where and how to buy it, and of course what brand, considering no more than US$ 200 ?
Thanks you all.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't have a Meerschaum, but there are many fans here with good ideas and advice on them, I think. I think the trick is to learn enough about the different makers and retailers to know a good quality pipe at a good price. I'd own one for a while to see how you like it before getting another. It is, I hear, a different smoking experience. Most members highly recommend them. I hear, avoid composite Meerschaum and push stems seem to be preferable to screw-on. I like the simple traditional shapes more than the carved figural pipes, but for some, that's part of the fun.

ekert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2018
I've heard good things about CAO (especially Bekler made ones). I've been looking at some estate pipes on eBay and SmokingPipes, perhaps you can purchase and have it shipped directly to Peru.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have a Straumbach meer (that's short for Meerschaum by the way), and love it. It is not a 'block' Meerschaum, but smokes nice and cool. My opinion is that the 'block' vs 'pressed' vs 'cultured' debate is a little overblown. The tenon (where the stem attaches to the bowl) is a push in type, just like on a briar pipe. I purchased mine from a reputable seller on eBay.
Just my thoughts.
I hope you find one you like and it serves you well!

yhbriar

Lurker
May 25, 2018
Peru - Lima
I think the trick is to learn enough about the different makers and retailers to know a good quality pipe at a good price
Thanks mso489 , I will do my homework :)
eBay and SmokingPipes, perhaps you can purchase and have it shipped directly to Peru
That is a good idea ekert !
My opinion is that the 'block' vs 'pressed' vs 'cultured' debate is a little overblown
and I guess the prices are very different, aren't them mikethompson ?
My son is going to Prague and Berlin next week, I wonder if it would be a better place to buy one. Unfortunately hi is not going to Turkey :)

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
and I guess the prices are very different, aren't them mikethompson ?
yes, the blocks tend to be more because they are harder to get and are usually carved with intricate designs.
My cultured meer was maybe $80? I don't even remember now.
dsc04737_zpsvee3uhx7.jpg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
If you want a meerschaum, Turkish block is the only way to go for the full experience. 'nuff said!
Start an email dialogue with one of the vendors listed on the left who vend meers. Cultured, "glued" together powder, and African meerschaum pipes may provide a decent smoke but, you will only get the full Turkish, block meerschaum experience with a pipe constructed out of the real stuff.
I haven't purchased a meer in quite a few years so, I can't offer an opinion on what's currently on the market. There are a number of reputable vendors though who, once they understand your desires, can probably supply a great pipe.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Anyone know what kind of Meer that Peterson used? I have a simple Pete Dublin Meer that I like a lot. It does seem to be heavier/dencer than some of the other super light meers I have handled before.
Also, does density/weight have anything to do with quality? or absorbability?

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Hey Fol, Peterson used African meer then switched to Turkish. It sounds to me like you have an African Meer.

floridapipeman

Might Stick Around
Jun 3, 2018
Stick with block. Take a look at Altinok's web site and MeerschaumMarket as well; google them. Both are on the higher end but offer a nice variety. Try to stick with a known carver for greatest smoking experience although SMS also makes decent pipes for the more price conscience buyer.
Good luck.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
For excellent meers by Baki and Tekin check out:
http://bestmeerschaums.homestead.com/bakipipes.html
The Bakis are going to be more than the stated price you're looking for, but the Tekins are within range and currently marked down.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I didn't see a heck of a lot of pipes in Berlin (briar or otherwise—as a matter of fact, I can't recall seeing any Meerschaum ones, but there was one pipe shop I didn't visit). Honestly, I was expecting a much wider selection. And the prices weren't anything to write home about either. I'd rather order online and get immediate VAT-free shopping than having to deal with the Zoll forms for refunds.

mathoozula

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2013
If one were to buy a Turkish block meer, what would you be looking for more than aesthetics? I'd like to know how much one costs in lets say a market price. There is nowhere close in WV where I can examine the differences between a good meer and a lesser one. Having to rely on the internet only, makes me leery of being able to detect a true block meer from another.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
"makes me leery of being able to detect a true block meer from another."
That is why you should order from one of the supporting vendors on this site. IMHO

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
If you buy from anyone of the following vendors/brands you will ensure getting a nice block meerschaum pipe.

Meerschaum Market

MeerQueen

Meerschaum Depot

Meerschaum Store

Paykoc

Royal Meerschaum

Altinay

Altinok

SMS

IMP

AKB

...and there is more out there.
You can find nice block meerschaum pipes at Meerschaum Depot for about $70. I have one and they're nice pipes. You can go up from there, and depending on who the brand/vendor and/or master carver is along with the size/shape of the pipe will affect the price. There are a lot of great quality meerschaums for under $120.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
If you want a meerschaum, Turkish block is the only way to go for the full experience. 'nuff said!
I have 18 meerschaum pipes, with them all being block meerschaum except 2. All my meerschaum pipes are very good to excellent quality. The two non-block meerschaum pipes are Straumbach pipes which are cultured meerschaum. My bent billiard Straumbach is one of my favorite meers if not my favorite and it is coloring beautifully. So while Turkish block meerschaum is usually the best way to go, you can still get some great pipes from cultured meerschaum or African Meerschaum pipes. Avoid pressed meerschaum pipes though.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
If you buy from anyone of the following vendors/brands you will ensure getting a nice block meerschaum pipe.
And you can definitely add bestmeerschaums.homestead.com to that list. Deniz is truly a stand-up guy, and the Bakis and Tekins for sale there are of the highest quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.