PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sanzini

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2021
Bristow, VA
If you like pina coladas.... :LOL:

I recently make a rookie mistake and bought some Sutliff Carolina Flake, which I quickly learned is for blending not smoking straight. Suggestions for what I can blend it with so it doesn’t go to waste?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think that's basically a Virginia, so an equal part of quality burley, plus a good pinch of black Cavendish will make a serviceable blend, proportioned to your taste. Mostly, you can't mess that up. Then you can always add a bit of Turkish or cigar leaf, but don't get too much going at once, and mix them in a small batch, not more than an once, so you can adjust it every time. By all means smoke it neat, especially once it has a little age on it.

This is ridiculous. All Virginias can be used for blending, but are all mostly sold to Virginia lovers to smoke straight. You can blend with FVF or Capstan. And, it always pissed me off when someone who misunderstands all of this would post on a McC 5100 review that it is meant to be used as a blender. Sure, it can be blended, but the absolute majority of people who buy it smoke it by itself, because we love Virginias.
It's not like eating straight raw flour, instead of making a cake with it. More like enjoying Fritos by themselves, when they can also be used to make a chili pie.

Just enjoy it... or if it bothers you, then mix some latakia in with it, or give it away... do whatever you want.