Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

rsshreck32

Lifer
Aug 1, 2023
Western PA
In the short time I've been smoking a pipe, I have not encountered a more polarizing tobacco than Haunted Bookshop. So, what say you? Love it or hate it? For my part, I love it.

Reactions: jbfrady

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
I both love and hate Haunted Bookshop. I love it for the fact that the tin note smells just like the musty stacks of an old, old library or bookstore, and I love it's deep, earthy flavor full of nuance and variety. It's reminiscent of the old codger blends but never monotone, the flavor shifts noticably between all the varieties of taste experiences Burley can provide as the bowl goes along and it never tastes boring or bland to my palate.

However, the one thing I hate about Haunted Bookshop is how sore it makes my throat every time I smoke it! Even if I smoke it while drinking hot coffee with plenty of creamer to soothe my throat it's still one of the most abrasive smokes I've ever experienced and gives me one heck of a sore throat and a bit of a cough for the rest of the day anytime I smoke more than half a bowl or so of it.

I suspect it may be the Perique that's pummeling my throat, since most VaPers have the same effect on me, so on my next tobacco order I'll be picking up a tin of Pegasus and hoping it provides a similar taste and aroma experience to Haunted Bookshop but without the throat irritation.

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
I'm a fan and purchase it by the pound. To quote Jiminks, "You'd better like nutty, earthy, dry, woody, unflavored bold burley with a few rough edges and hint of spice, or you won't like this even a little bit." I will admit that it does have a few rough edges and has a goodly amount of strength which may be off-putting to some. Once you get to know the blend, a lot of the nuances come out making it quite enjoyable.

I look at Haunted Bookshop as a codger blend of sorts. There is not a lot of complexity, it's just a good, solid, easy to smoke blend that I find myself reaching for often. As with many blends, I would recommend smoking an ounce or two before you make your final decision.