PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
So much for giving up buying pipes…congrats on the new lovat.
Dave,

Thanks.
Having ignored this shape for years, I seem to have a mini-obsession with Lovats recently. This is the third in little more than a month.
It was triggered by a couple of older threads on the Blakemar Sir Douglas pipes.
Unfortunately Mike Billington has not had one on his site for quite a while.

I'll post pics of my Franken-clay pipe when it arrives

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Dave,

Thanks.
Having ignored this shape for years, I seem to have a mini-obsession with Lovats recently. This is the third in little more than a month.
It was triggered by a couple of older threads on the Blakemar Sir Douglas pipes.

Looking forward to it. I don’t want to be an enabler so I won’t post pics of the early Haymarket Loewe lovat I have en route 😂

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I won it on EBay recently.

Unsmoked clay bowl, silver spigot mounts, bamboo shank, bone tenon bit.
Now if that does not describe a Franken-clay, I'm lost for words cray

I put a bid in because I was gob-smacked that someone would tart up a clay with a silver bling !
And of course one way they could attach a bamboo shank extension work is via a spigot

Sows ears and silk purses ??? rotf

All shall be revealed in due course.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Yeah brother, nice pipe! I have several Stanwell Lovats …….excellent smokers! Have been on the Lovat fan wagon for many years, they make up 90% of my pipe collection.

• Wow
Reactions: OzPiper

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Dave,

Thanks.

I love my Sir Douglas! You might e-mail Mike and ask. He just moved his shop to his home so he says he is back logged and trying to catch up. He makes great pipes at reasonable prices and currently the euro is on par with the dollar.

Reactions: simong and OzPiper

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I love my Sir Douglas! You might e-mail Mike and ask. He just moved his shop to his home so he says he is back logged and trying to catch up. He makes great pipes at reasonable prices and currently the euro is on par with the dollar.
You guys in the states are so lucky with the exchange rate now.
Take advantage while you can.
Unfortunately the Aussie$ is stuck in the doldrums along with the £ and €

Some years ago when the Aussie$ was on par with your greenback, I took the opportunity to stock up on cigars - Habanos, Opus X, Padron Anniversary.
The import duty on tobacco is based on weight, so duty paid is the same for a $1 stick as one costing $20.
Built up a nice stash during that time.

Reactions: Ben.R.C and edger

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
The lovat is the quintessential gentleman's pipe shape. Long -stemmed make for elegant, understated clenchers suitable for town or country. Short-stemmed make for perfect outdoors pipes for the hunting, shooting, fishing, or military man.

Lovat or leave it, if you ask me!