PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
I'm sending my Savinelli Tortuga 804 KS to Smokingpipes EU today as I don't use it at all, it is way too big for my taste. Too long and heavy to clench it comfortably and the chamber size is also too big as usually I have max. 45 free minutes a day to smoke and I don't like to smoke half packs. So despite I didn't have any issues with this huge Canadian I decided to change it to store credit and take a smaller Lovat-shape instead. I have a Brebbia Classica Argento lovat (7003) and I found out that this shape is one of my favourite. This Brebbia became a real workhorse almost immediately and I could smoke it all-day-long, every day, it gives a very nice, cool, dry and tasty smoke and it is so comfortable to handle it, I love it to every bits and pieces (although it is not a real looker). So I would like to have something similar to this Brebbia instead of the gigantic Canadian. Now my dilemma is coming: I like my Savinellis and my Brebbias even more. But I have seen Peterson's shape 53 lovat and I really like the look of it, both Killarney and Aran. Until now I had only two petes, both with quality issues and the only Killarney review I found on youtube also mentioned the same issue I had before - whistling pipe. So even though these pipes are questionable with the quality, they also seem much bigger than my Brebbia. Do you have any of Pete's 53s? They are on the bigger, smaller or medium size range?

The second option I have found is Savinelli's 701. I think this would be very similar in size and quality to the Brebbia, but maybe a little bit boring to me.

The third one is the Brebbia Junior 2773 which I would prefer in black colour with a wooden ring on the stem (Smokingpipes doesn't have it currently, only noce, but I hope that it is possible to order the other colour through them from Brebbia). I think this is somewhat similar in size but I don't like this noce (walnut) colouring of it, maybe they could order the black one for request - have you made any special request before at SP? Are they opened to help?

So these are my options, I would like to choose from these three and I would like to ask you about any of your experiences with these pipes and of course your opinion could help a lot. Filter is not an important aspect to me as I smoke without it anyway.

Thank you for reading my wall of text!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't have any of these Lovats so perhaps I shouldn't post, but I have one pleasantly compact Lovat with an ample bowl that I like a lot, made by Mogen Johansen, Johs. it was reasonably priced and smokes extremely well, so there's an alternative if you can find one. Johs goes in spells of doing particular shapes, but there may be more of these around.

homeatsea

Mar 6, 2013
Daniel,
I just looked through SP's selections for the shapes you've listed.
The Pete Killarney Lovat (53) is pretty small, just under 133 mm and quite light (40 g). I have a Stanwell lovat with similar dimensions and weight and I consider it a "pocket pipe". Most lovat shapes will be near this size and weight.
I have only one Savinelli but it is absolutely my best smoker and it was just about $90 USD when I purchased it, so I consider it quality for an affordable price. SP have the Savinelli 701 lovat shape in a variety of their lines from the $80 USD range to the $650 USD range. A couple of these have a black finish like you're stating you'd like with the Brebbia, so perhaps that's worth looking in to.
Never had a Brebbia, so I won't comment on their pipes as I'm unqualified.
Hope this gives some perspective for you, if nothing else.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
@Dainiel7, Well, now based on my experience with Lovat shape from various manufacturers one thing which is worth bearing in mind that many of those do come with quite a spacious chamber size despite the overall small looks they may have, as for the long-stemmed Savinelli 701 Lovat I personally consider that being on the larger size group, another thing to pay attention is total weight I wouldn't want to buy a Lovat weighing in more than maximum 38gr, now what I might suggest You is to check out this Brebbia Companys online shop(PipeBrebbia.com) and see there this very Serie 1960 Sabbiata Nero 7001 seems like a pretty good value if You ask me.

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
Thanks Paul, you are right, the weight is an important aspect as the balance is usually not ideal for these pipes thanks to the long shank. 1960 Sabbiata Nero is indeed a beautiful pipe, it is definitely among the competitors.

For me the Peterson Aran 53 (smooth, nickel mounted) and the Brebbias are the most alluring. The Pete looks sturdy and the Brebbias are very elegant. Maybe I have a little bit too much Savinellis, this is why I can't feel the urge to choose it over the others. My brain knows that Brebbia or Savinelli would be the best choice but I also really like the Peterson's strong, masculine look. The beauty of choosing a pipe :lol:

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
@Daniel7, Can't argue, Peterson 53 is also very handsome looking and would make a good choice for travel pipe thanks to its sturdiness and shortness(I have considered having that one as well)only downsize might be the weight. I have noticed that French manufacturers especially Jeantet(Chacom Second)often do pretty lightweight ones with plenty of chamber >www.pipe.fr)

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
@Paul, I had only one French pipe, a Jean Claude which I sold some months ago because I never touched it. It was a churchwarden and it had no issues, I just didn't like the look of it. French pipes are somehow not my taste. And a pipe must attract its owner. :lol:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My gimpy operating system prevents me from providing a link, but i see from a Google search that smokingpipes.com currently may have one or more Johs Lovats on hand, so you might want to take a look ... if your op system is functioning better than mine.

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
Thank you, Tom/mso! I checked that one and it is a little bit weird as it is a brandy-lovat instead of the traditional billiard. I prefer to have a well-shaped billiard bowl at the end of a lovat.

jeffro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2017
I love a good Lovat shape pipe.
I also recommend to look at French made pipes the Butz-Choquin Belami Lovat or the Chacom St. Claude 210 and the New Orleans. Lovats.
Also, Rattray's makes a Lovat called Kyloe you might look into.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I have Peterson 53. I find the bowl to be plenty big (medium sized). The saddle stem, coupled with the relatively short shank, make it easy to clench, even though it's overall weight (c. 40g) is more than what I usually prefer. As far as drilling goes, it's a straight shot through the shank and the stem is very short, so it's hard for Peterson to mess things up. If you're looking for an inexpensive Lovat with plenty of chamber that's also compact, sturdy and easy to clench, the 53 is a good choice.

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
@Jeffro, I don't really like French pipes' aesthetics, not so long ago I sold my last Frenchie. I bought them because of the very good price-value ratio but after that I almost never touched them. I can't give any rational explanation, I just prefer other countries' pipes and designs. Rattray's lovat is a very handsome pipe indeed, so now I can add one more competitor :lol:
@Pitchfork, Thank you for your review about Peterson's 53 shape, it helps a lot. It is really good that you mentioned the drilling, I thought the same. It is straight, so hopefully it couldn't have similar issues as my previous Peterson pipes.

But as I wrote in the original post, the only Killarney 53 review I found on Youtube also mentioned the same issue I had before - whistling pipe. Peterson always conquer my heart, their pipes whisper to me and after that reality hits in. Maybe one more chance... :?

Status
Not open for further replies.