PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Without plot characters have nothing to say, and without speaking there is no drama. The better the writing the better the actor's performance, while plot drives everything.

I think the movie is very incomplete and that Malle made it for an audience that would compensate for its very obvious flaws for the sake of their art-house aesthetic.

Jan 27, 2020
Without plot characters have nothing to say, and without speaking there is no drama. The better the writing the better the actor's performance, while plot drives everything.

I think the movie is very incomplete and that Malle made it for an audience that would compensate for its very obvious flaws for the sake of their art-house aesthetic.

Well, the film to me feels like a successful attempt to meld theater and cinema although I did watch an interview with Andre Gregory where he admitted that he hates going to see plays despite his love of producing them.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I don't know much about theater, but I think plot is one of its standards. While Waiting for Godot is supposed to drive the audience to distraction, which amply succeeded with the HS audience of which I was a member, this was not Malle's intention, nor was that, unlike Godot, his theme.

A fine experiment that for me failed, but I'm glad that others liked it.

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee
Jan 27, 2020
being there is one of the greatest movies of all time in my stupid little opinion. If you like that certainly check out the Magic Christian.

I watched the trailer thanks, looks pretty wild. Will try to get around to watching it. Very unrelated, I started to watch the Battlestar Gallatica miniseries last night, damn thats good TV.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
"My Dinner With Andre" fascinated me. It is a complex, not altogether pleasant film. Andre is a self-infatuated narcissist. However, the film resides in the magic of conversation, which by the time the film came out, had been declining as a skill and art for decades. People were hurried, jabbering, and infested with fast-talk, dismal cliches, and repeating what they heard from media. Here at least was an illustration of a whole evening of talk that was as good as any film (although of course it was a film). It was a nifty trick, and improved by the fact that at the end Andre's friend finally snaps and gives him a piece of his mind and some hell for his self-preoccupation. It's not exactly a film you love, more one you appreciate, or hate.