PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Does anybody has any first hand experience with early Oppenheimer pipes? I know a guy with a 1906 Louis Adler stamped calabash in need of a stem replacement and we are trying to figure out whether it’s worth it

cheers

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
The calabash pipes LA made at that time were generally good quality. I have replaced a couple of these mouthpieces in the past. One thing is that it may be a screw thread fit which can make the repair a little more challenging. If it has an original case it will need to fit the case too. In those days, many smokers used to knock out the ash of their pipes which would cause damage by leaving dent marks to the silver cap or top of the bowl, so the overall condition needs to be taken into account. At the end of the day, if it looks nice and has a fine proportion, I would go for it. Having said that, I am talking about aesthetic worth. If it is to resell, it depends on condition, proportion etc and some photos would be helpful.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Having said that, I am talking about aesthetic worth. If it is to resell, it depends on condition, proportion etc and some photos would be helpful.

Ken to the rescue once again! Thanks mate. Here are some pics of the details you just mentioned. No the pipe wouldn’t be for resell, just to bring back into smoking condition. I am currently unaware of the condition of the meer inside the bow however, so I will ask. Also no case. Otherwise pipe looks identical to one shown silver collection for LA marks (dated a year later though).

45E1FEB3-40C8-4490-9CE0-24F5BCA985C4.jpegD7ED4056-A91E-440E-83F7-0A90EE54C888.jpegD09FEA70-B8CE-4936-B677-E1070E4EBBC4.jpeg

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
Be mindful that the mouthpiece in the photo is not the original as it is not flush with the silver band. I know the photo you were talking about. Nice!

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Be mindful that the mouthpiece in the photo is not the original as it is not flush with the silver band. I know the photo you were talking about. Nice!
Yes I had noticed the stem was not flush, and so I wasn’t too worried about its condition and need for replacement. I am unable to tell whether it is a screw or push tenon as it is currently stuck. I would normally put a pipe in freezer to loosen - is this ok with a calabash?

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
I am not sure. I have never seen a mouthpiece crack at this point and in this fashion - ever! The vulcanite may have been drilled out very wide and (super-) glued to the what was left from the last fracture. I think it will be a great challenge to do and satisfying if it works out ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.