PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipermicah

Lurker
Sep 22, 2013
So my wife bought me a new pipe for christmas. Its a Golden Gate Poker Here is the Amazon Link I love the pipe. The look and feel, but I'm having a bugger of a time with gurgling. I have tried everything. At first I thought I was drooling so I kept the pipe just up to my lips and I was very conscious about keeping it dry. Still lots of gurgle. Next I figured I was smoking to fast so I paced myself at about 2 puffs per minute. Still gurgling. Next I tried a dryer tobacco. Still gurgle. The only thing left that I can think of is its not broke in enough. Here in lays the problem. I can't finish a bowl to the bottom there is just to much mostiure. Even If I constantly dab a pipe cleaner through it while smoking every 4 or 5 puffs it gurgles. I don't know what else to do. I really don't wanna disappoint my wife and not use it anymore. One other thing I have noticed is when it starts to gurgle if I pull the stem out liquid pours out. The other thing I was thinking was maybe the smoke is condensing in the stem because I am smoking outside in the cold.
Now this isnt my first pipe. I have smoked all the same tobaccos out of my other pipe with out any issues. PLEASE HELP! lol

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Several members here have Golden Gate pipes and really like them. Every maker produces pipes that are problem children and this may be the case with yours. It sounds like you've tried a reasonably wide range of solutions. Perhaps the pipe will improve with use. But if there's an internal engineering issue you may just have to live with the gurgling.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
pipermicah said:

... when it starts to gurgle if I pull

the stem out liquid pours out.
I think that's a point of real concern ... I've never had anything like that happen and don't have a clue as to the solution, but IMO, if you can find out WHY that's the case and do what it takes to change it, you'll most likely have solved your problem ...
Additionally, if you keep pulling the stem out when the pipe is hot, you're going to have other problems ... don't remove the stem until the pipe is completely cool ...

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
It says it uses a metal filter, that should be referring to the stinger. Do you smoke it with that on or off?

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
My own theory- when you have a mortise that is longer than the tenon (sometimes because it's accidentally over drilled- in your case because it had to be drilled deeper to accomodate the stinger, you are more prone to gurgle because the tobacco smoke stream gets turbulent, slows and condenses out the moisture in the trap area. System pipes and reverse calabash pipes work based on that same principle, but don't gurgle because they have a reservoir or expansion chamber that holds the moisture and they don't concentrate the moisture in a restricted area directly in the smokestream. I would get rid of the stinger and open the airway to see if that helps...

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
What are you smoking in it, and do you let the tobacco dry out? Also when you are using pipe cleaners, i have heard to put the pipe cleaner in and leave it for 10 seconds so that it has time to absorbe the moisture.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
If you are smoking with the stinger, then try it without. (If the stinger is removable.) If you've been smoking without the stinger, try putting the stinger back in.

pipermicah

Lurker
Sep 22, 2013
I have been smoking Christmas Cheer in it mostly. Alittle LL-7 or Queen Anne's Revenge (my favorite). Lately though I have been smoking some old Captian's Black gold pouch that is very dry. As far as smoking inside. That is strictly forbidden in my pipe smoking contract with my wife! LOL.
About the stinger. I took it out when I got the pipe. I decided to put it in last night and see what happens. I wanna let my pipe rest a few days so I know its fully dry before I give it another go with the stinger in.
As for pulling out the stem while the pipe is hot. I know that is a no no, but I needed to see where the moisture was coming from. I only did it maybe 3 times.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
You would want to drill open up the small hole that goes through the tenon of the pipe.I might also suggest that the outdoor temp might be a contributing factor. As a contractor I smoke outside in all weather and cold days will create more condensation that warmer days in some pipe designs.

pipermicah

Lurker
Sep 22, 2013
Any recommendations on where I could send it to have have it done cheap? I don't know if id trust my hands if it comes to that.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
You may try opening up the draw a bit mate.
+1
Some pipes will gurgle no matter what it seems. IMHO being out in the cold will increase moisture as well. How does the draft hole enter the bowl? Is it at the bottom or above a bit?
I have found that holes that enter the bowl too high tend to gurgle. I cannot prove this, just my limited experience suggests it.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Get rid of the stinger for sure. Otherwise the only way to get that pipe to stop gurgling would be to smoke it upside down. :crazy:
I have a pipe with a stinger in it which I loved but the design was such that I could unscrew it during my smokes and blow out the moisture that collected on the cool metal parts quite easily. Yours is not designed to be taken apart mid smoke... so get rid of the stinger if you want a change at it not gurgling anymore.

oldredbeard

Jul 20, 2012
I agree, it sounds like it needs to be opened up some. I have a few that smoke good with the stinger, and others I had to remove the stinger to get them to smoke drier. Unfortunately there are those that will gurgle some no matter what, and the cold weather does make them worse.

pipermicah

Lurker
Sep 22, 2013
Well I decided to drill out the hole my self. I used the 5/32 bit and so far so good!! This is with the stinger though. I'm gonna keep smoking it with the stinger for a few days, then take it out and see what happens. Thanks for the advice!

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
All of the above suggestion are very sound advice. Assuming that you get the stinger or draft hole bored out try two other suggestions. One, consider smoking so other tobacco. Captain Black even on the dry side will smoke considerable more moist then a non-aromatic. Finally, try loading your tobacco a little a little less compact. Most members use the "three" load rule. Layer one is compacted a little and the second layer is compacted less than the first layer. Layer three is rather loose. Finally, once loaded firmly (not too firm) use your finger to tamp the tobacco so that it is springy.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
My three pack method is the exact opposite....
Have I been wrong all these years?
I was told to pack each layer like a:

Baby

Woman

Man
Maybe I'll live life on the edge and try it your way. I'm kind of dangerous like that. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.