PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
In examining eBays collection of churchwarden pipes, I noticed a lot of Lord of the Rings pipes. Who actually makes these pipes, and are they worthwhile?

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Those are lovely pipes! As far as LOTR churchwardens go I really think Vauen nailed it. I've seen other churchwardens that are quite nice, but once the LOTR tag goes on them most seem rather tacky and unimpressive to me. Mostly like just another gimmick but the Vauens really check the boxes for me.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Those are lovely pipes! As far as LOTR churchwardens go I really think Vauen nailed it. I've seen other churchwardens that are quite nice, but once the LOTR tag goes on them most seem rather tacky and unimpressive to me. Mostly like just another gimmick but the Vauens really check the boxes for me.
They were nice, just too cumbersome and fell into disuse.

Reactions: oldtoby

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I have two of the Vauens (Eron Sandlasted and Modon Smooth). They are excellent pipes and certainly nailed it for the LOTR look. They can be ordered from Esterval’s for $100 less than from US retailers. Just picked up the Modon for $135. Tacked it on to a huge tobacco order to stock up on HU among other euro only blends.

Not sure if these are the pipes the OP is seeing though, I’ve seen a ton of pipes with “LOTR” in the description on ebay that were no name junk, or just any ol churchwarden.

Reactions: renfield

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
You can make a churchwarden with a bamboo or reed extension of the stem. The times I am going to smoke a churchwarden, I'm much less concerned about the appearance of the pipe anyway. Churchwardens are for slow, solo, laid back, smokes.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Not my cup of tea at all but the Vauen Auenland series is probably the best Lord of the Rings themed pipes in production. I own some other Vauens (not churchwardens) that are good solid pipes that are in regular use.

Churchwarden pipes (aka reading pipes) are just not my thing. For me they would not be worthwhile.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Not sure if these are the pipes the OP is seeing though, I’ve seen a ton of pipes with “LOTR” in the description on ebay that were no name junk, or just any ol churchwarden.
To expand on this a bit: there are two Tolkien-inspired series of churchwardens made by Vauen: the LOTR and the Auenland.

The Lord of the Rings series were made years ago, after the movies (Vauen was the company who got the commission by the movie makers to design and make the pipes sported in the original LOTR movie trilogy). They are named after the character that smoked them onscreen. Here's an example:
VAUEN%20Gandalf%201.jpg

That series is, alas, now discontinued. Vauen no longer makes them and they can be bought only as estates now.

The Auenland is the new series. They are still made, to the best of my knowledge. I can't find information about whether Vauen was again commissioned by the movie makers to create the pipes used for The Hobbit trilogy; but the Auenland is still inspired by the LOTR universe. These pipes don't bear the name of any LOTR character, but have more (kind of) obscure names such as Friddo, Gilg, Doran, &c. The Cap'n already posted pics of some of these.

Yes, there have been a number of knockoffs, whose quality I assume ranges from poor to OK. The Canadian company MacQueen has capitalised on making such knockoffs, but they are nowhere close to Vauen's offerings. I purchased a churchwarden from them, their Wizard model, which is a knockoff of Vauen's Gandalf pictured above:

It smokes OK, but the all-wood stem imparts a noticeable burnt wood flavour to the smoke, and even to the clean air sipped through. I wouldn't buy another one of these.

Reactions: lightmybriar

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
To expand on this a bit: there are two Tolkien-inspired series of churchwardens made by Vauen: the LOTR and the Auenland.

The Lord of the Rings series were made years ago, after the movies (Vauen was the company who got the commission by the movie makers to design and make the pipes sported in the original LOTR movie trilogy). They are named after the character that smoked them onscreen. Here's an example:
VAUEN%20Gandalf%201.jpg

That series is, alas, now discontinued. Vauen no longer makes them and they can be bought only as estates now.

The Auenland is the new series. They are still made, to the best of my knowledge. I can't find information about whether Vauen was again commissioned by the movie makers to create the pipes used for The Hobbit trilogy; but the Auenland is still inspired by the LOTR universe. These pipes don't bear the name of any LOTR character, but have more (kind of) obscure names such as Friddo, Gilg, Doran, &c. The Cap'n already posted pics of some of these.

Yes, there have been a number of knockoffs, whose quality I assume ranges from poor to OK. The Canadian company MacQueen has capitalised on making such knockoffs, but they are nowhere close to Vauen's offerings. I purchased a churchwarden from them, their Wizard model, which is a knockoff of Vauen's Gandalf pictured above:

It smokes OK, but the all-wood stem imparts a noticeable burnt wood flavour to the smoke, and even to the clean air sipped through. I wouldn't buy another one of these.

Yeah, I really wanted one of the older Aragorn ones but the estates are way too pricey. Was more referring to the knock offs in that post, of which there are many.

Reactions: olkofri

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I have a Vauen Hugg and it is extremely well made and I can't bring myself to smoke out of it, lol.
I’ve got the Eron. Nicely made, lots of chamber, no trouble with it. It does feel like role playing to smoke it, though, as the bit is round with no button, as though it was a tube stem like a clay or early wooden pipe. Every time you put your lips to it you’re reminded that it’s not a regular modern stem.

But still, it’s fun for special occasions.

Reactions: coyja

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
Yeah, I feel like I'm waiting for some epic storm to roll through while I'm out on a hike, or to find myself in a cave, gorge, mountain pass, etc. Sitting in the backyard and smoking this work of art doesn't seem right, lol.

Reactions: Casual

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Thanks for the Estervals reference, BTW. Looks like the place to order my future Eron and Enzian. ?
Haha yeah, I already had an Eron, and was there to stock up on euro blends. For the hell of it I happened to check out their pipe selection and saw the Auenlands listed for $135 instead of the $245 we often see stateside. I was like “What the balls? I guess I need (want) a Modon as well so I have one for English blends now :)

never heard of the Enzian before. That shits crazy. Like a cross between Cavalier and Tyrolean. Wild!

Status
Not open for further replies.