PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
There are always challenges in the life of a pipe smoker. I have a small spot carved out in the cluttered garage where I smoke my pipe. A far cry from Peck's set-up.
Well, my wife added a 1000W heater to the fish tank in her greenhouse so the fish won't be cold. It turns out that she is on the same circuit as my garage heater so that every time I turn on my heater, it throws the breaker. The fish will be warm but not me.
My next project is to correct this situation. Until then it is cold.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Fish over man? I thought we were at the top of the food chain? Wait. It goes 1) woman 2) man 3) the other things on the planet. Yeah, you're going to have to figure something out...

Mike S.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Teach the fish to smoke pipes, and tell your wife that they invited you to the warm greenhouse for a smoke.
fish-bowll-3.gif

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There's a cold fish joke in here somewhere. Hope you and the fish can both get the warmth you need.

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
Oh man Stan!! That old saying rings true, "Happy Wife, Happy Life". Endure the cold my friend, irritating the Mrs. could only make things colder.....
It is a pretty easy fix to separate those circuits though. The amp draw from that heater I would imagine is pretty high, I would look into that circuit ASAP just to be safe. Breaker sizing to wire gauge need to be checked. If you are not knowledgeable with electricity an electrician will have you fixed up in a jiffy. Best of luck m8 :mrgreen:

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
I've got a dual 1# cylinder Buddy Heater that is indoor safe. That thing throws out the heat real well. Another point made is now you know where you are in the pecking order around there. :crying:

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
A 1000 Watt heater for a fish tank??? Just how big is that tank, anyway? Consider this: turn off the fish tank heater while you're in the garage. Unless you're going to be smoking in the garage for hours on end, the fish tank won't turn into a block of ice while you smoke a bowl or two. I doubt that the fish will notice. And grow a set if you have to :D

stanlaurel

Jan 31, 2015
I thought fish were cold blooded animals
A 1000 Watt heater for a fish tank??? Just how big is that tank, anyway?
Point well taken. The tank is large. If I understand her operation correctly, the heat from the tank is the heat source for the whole greenhouse and the plants inside.
Consider this: turn off the fish tank heater while you're in the garage.
That's a good short term solution. In the long term I am considering switching from a 15amp to a 20amp breaker and then adding a separate circuit later.

Status
Not open for further replies.