PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
When I was a young lad though my mother did most of the cooking my father would occasionally cook us something as a treat, his version of Welsh rarebit was a favourite of his & was popular with me & my sisters.

Another thing he made was a white cabbage soup that was surprisingly delicious. I asked my mother a few months afore she died if she knew the recipe but despite remembering the soup, she never knew how he made it. All she could tell me was it contained rolled oats, white cabbage (not the green broad leaf type), chicken stock and milk (yes, it was very white) and presumably onions.

Another thing, he spent most of his WWII service in Italy so possibly picked up the recipe there?

Do these constituents remind anyone of a soup that might match? I'd love to have a crack at making it.

Regards,

Jay.

• Love
Reactions: JOHN72

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Sounds like you have all the information necessary. Bring the stock to a boil, throw in the chopped cabbage, rolled oats, and milk. reduce heat and simmer for 30 - 40 minutes. As for proportions, 5-6 cups stock, 1 head of cabbage, 1 cup of rolled oats, 1 cup of milk is where I would start... As the cabbage cooks it releases water, so keep that in mind. You can always add more stock later. I like it not so watery, especially if i'm going to freeze it.

I just made 8 quarts of cabbage roll soup the other day. I like to freeze it so I can use it for quick meals in coming weeks. I'm going to do French onion soup tomorrow.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
When I was a young lad though my mother did most of the cooking my father would occasionally cook us something as a treat, his version of Welsh rarebit was a favourite of his & was popular with me & my sisters.

Another thing he made was a white cabbage soup that was surprisingly delicious. I asked my mother a few months afore she died if she knew the recipe but despite remembering the soup, she never knew how he made it. All she could tell me was it contained rolled oats, white cabbage (not the green broad leaf type), chicken stock and milk (yes, it was very white) and presumably onions.

Another thing, he spent most of his WWII service in Italy so possibly picked up the recipe there?

Do these constituents remind anyone of a soup that might match? I'd love to have a crack at making it.

Regards,

Jay.
Is it possible he substituted Milk and oats for fontina cheese and bread ? I found this recipe for Italian cabbage soup : https://www.yummly.com/recipe/Italian-Bread-_-Cabbage-Soup-2324348

It came from this site which seems to have every cabbage soup recipe in the world : https://www.yummly.com/recipes/hungarian-cabbage-soup PS I would recommend the Spring cabbage not the summer cabbage which is gassier.

Darn ! Now I'm hungry ... good luck ... gotta go on a night op to raid the fridge !!! :rolleyes:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Wow guys, cabbage soup recipes aplenty.....I'm swimming in cabbage soup :LOL:

Many thanks for all the suggestions. I'm wondering if some of the Scottish recipes might be close (they love their oats up there*).

Also wondering if my father got the recipe from his father who spent many years in South Africa....I'll never know for sure. I also remember it being somewhat peppery.

Thanks again chaps, I have much to look into.

Regards,

Jay.

*Dr. Samuel Johnson in his Dictionary of 1755 famously described oats as thus...

"a grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland supports the people".

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I make a creamy potato soup. When it’s near ready I toss about 4 whole cabbage leaves on top and let it simmer low for about 45 minutes.
I set the cabbage leaves aside for myself, but always get asked about ‘that secret ingredient, it’s lovely’ .

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
This is almost making me want to try cabbage soup. Almost because cabbage for me always brings back memories of something disgusting and overcooked in school dinners (but I do like pickled red cabbage so perhaps there is hope for me yet).

Now Austrian Garlic Soup - wonderful

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I hope you were able to find a similar recipe to your "lost" soup.

Unfortunately, the food website I typically use for research and ideas recently shut down. They even locked all forums and threads so the site is officially dead and of no use.

Kinda sad, really. All that information lost in time (along with the stories and former members).